Griddle Insert

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyinsd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I am curious if anybody is using a large griddle insert on their grills in place of buying a dedicated griddle like a blackstone or other. I came across a deal on prime day on a camp chef 14x32 ( actually 16x32) for under $80 so I ordered one with the intent of using it on my 5 burner gas grill that has a surface area of 18x34. I know these are made for a camp stove, but has anybody used one on a gas grill and what were your results? I dont think it should be a big problem since the heat sources are similar, but I didnt want to mess it up and then find out I was over looking some aspect.

Reactions: Saul D and JLeonard
I am curious if anybody is using a large griddle insert on their grills in place of buying a dedicated griddle like a blackstone or other. I came across a deal on prime day on a camp chef 14x32 ( actually 16x32) for under $80 so I ordered one with the intent of using it on my 5 burner gas grill that has a surface area of 18x34. I know these are made for a camp stove, but has anybody used one on a gas grill and what were your results? I dont think it should be a big problem since the heat sources are similar, but I didnt want to mess it up and then find out I was over looking some aspect.

I can't remember the exact model but i bought a cast iron griddle plate to put on top of the infrared side burner on my gas Napoleon. I worked ok, was heavy and always fun to clean without water.
I soon after got a Blackstone. a small one that van easliy go in the toy hauler with my WSM.

Reactions: jimmyinsd
I have that for my camp stove. I would think if the size was similar and the griddle was near the flame it would work fine. Many gas grills are coming out with add on griddle option. One problem may be the grease drain on the front corner.

I have that for my camp stove. I would think if the size was similar and the griddle was near the flame it would work fine. Many gas grills are coming out with add on griddle option. One problem may be the grease drain on the front corner.

I dont think it will be very close to the flame as my grill has those flame tamers or whatever they call those hoods that cover the flame, but I would think that would help even out hot spots. I had thought of putting a little strip of foil on the edges where the griddle doesnt quite cover the entire surface area of the grill to keep the heat from escaping out the sides and back.

as far as the grease drain, my grill has a catch pan underneath that funnels the grease from their to a collection pan for dumping, I am hoping that will work for the grease coming off this griddle in the same manner without a massive flare up as I dont think I will need to run the burners nearly as high for the griddle as I would for actual grilling.

If anybody thinks I am overlooking something here, please feel free to set me straight.

I use a griddle on both my Camp Chef 3 burner camp stove and on my 3 burner Weber Genesis propane BBQ grill, it works perfectly.

I've cooked for large groups on a big Blackstone griddle, and I see no reason to replace my set on top cast iron griddle that I use now.

I actually prefer the set on top griddle for the ease of clean up, and storage. I keep it oiled and seasoned in a zip up caring case in the garage, it's awesome for smash burgers and large gathering breakfasts, both at home and camping. I enjoy making breakfasts and burgers for lunch while in hunt camp or fish camp on the Cali. coast when we camp/ RV glamping during fishing and crabbing trips.

I hope this helps, I think you are really going to like your new griddle.

Pro-tip, keep a roll of paper towels or some old cotton rags, and a scraper and some long handled tongs handy to absorb extra grease while cooking, and for clean up.

Dan.

My Grilla Grills came with a full size griddle and grates.
Just use the griddle first time today. Works great.
Grilla Grills says to remove the grates and flame deflectors before putting griddle in.

My Grilla Grills came with a full size griddle and grates.
Just use the griddle first time today. Works great.
Grilla Grills says to remove the grates and flame deflectors before putting griddle in.
I wondered about removing the grates and then welding up a frame that would set it down lower into the grill box, but then again I thought I would try it on top of the grates first and see how it heats up that way as messing with the grates and flame deflectors would get to be a bit of a pain each time I want to switch back and forth.

Leaving the grates and flame deflectors in would definitely be easier.
Just dawned on me, brackets for the griddle slope it to left front corner and there is a hole in the griddle there for the grease to flow down into a grease pail.
Having grates in would probably interfere with that.

Leaving the grates and flame deflectors in would definitely be easier.
Just dawned on me, brackets for the griddle slope it to left front corner and there is a hole in the griddle there for the grease to flow down into a grease pail.
Having grates in would probably interfere with that.
it does affect the slope, my plan was to chock up the back of the griddle to account for the slope, didnt look like it would take much.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Before my Blackstone I used a Camp Chief sit on the grate griddle smaller than the one depicted above, but it gave me a taste of what I could do with an outdoor griddle. I had to find a real glass baster to suck up excess grease at times to keep from overflowing. Worked well but I kept spilling things over the sides, guess I am messy. Ha Finally got the real thing 36 Blackstone from TS on sale for about $270 and love it. Bottom line, find what works for you and use it.

Last edited:

I found a 16x24 stainless steel grill insert on Amazon for $80 that I’m going to try. My concern with the Camp Chef griddle is the 2 diffuser plates on the back; don’t think the griddle would produce even heating with the tube burners on my grill.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.png
    IMG_0069.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: jimmyinsd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky