Camp Chef Disappointment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Connect your phone to the 2.4 frequency of your router. That's all it will see. Connect your phone app to the Camp Chef using bluetooth. Once that's done, you'll be able to connect the cooker to your 2.4 router using the phone app.

I have the MBGF and rarely use the app.
It's always works great but I guess I got accustomed to relying on my ThermPro to monitor the temps.

Which G? 2g,4g,5g...get them straight and keep them straight. WiFi --There are 2 common frequency bands for WiFi 2 ghz and 5 ghz, 2G&5G. The 2ghz WiFi band was the first one available. Then the 5ghz was added later. Simply put the 2ghz WiFi is slower than the 5Ghz...This does not matter in this application. There are many smart devices, Smokers, TV's that only have one radio, thus a single frequency. These are usually 2ghz only. Most other devices have dual radios and can work on 2ghz or 5ghz WiFi channels.

Bluetooth is another connection method, very short range, happens to live at 2ghz frequencies.

As far as cell phones, smartphones. The “G” stands for generation, meaning 5G is the most current generation of cell phone network coverage and speeds. Cell phones can operate on many different frequencies depending on carrier, and location. Within the cell network there are differing radio technologies, GSM, CDMA, LTE. Cell Phone providers are working toward a single universal platform. "LTE" stands for Long Term Evolution, for the most part it is pretty universal. The providers will eventually retire the older technologies but have to weigh those costs and make good to the shareholders.

I hope this helps with understanding how all this stuff works. Looks like you are getting some sound advice with using 2G WiFi.

RG

two was to change/turn on and off the wifi networks 2.4 and 5GHZ.
1. if you have an app the you can manage your wifi router with. or
2. the website you use to manage your wifi router.

Both should have an option (check box) to turn on and off either GHZ network. If you dont have either, maybe tell us the make and model? But you will need either the app or website that manages your wifi. The manufacturers website should have these for ya if you dont have them.
Connect your phone to the 2.4 frequency of your router. That's all it will see. Connect your phone app to the Camp Chef using bluetooth. Once that's done, you'll be able to connect the cooker to your 2.4 router using the phone app.
20220127_141409.jpg

This is my internet router provided by Frontier. How can I change it to 4G and if I do how will the change affect other devices in my house? Will the $20 4g extender work?

View attachment 523588

This is my internet router provided by Frontier. How can I change it to 4G and if I do how will the change affect other devices in my house? Will the $20 4g extender work?
You have a 2.4 and 5g router. 4G is for phones. You need to look for the Frontier 2236 in your wifi setup on your phone. Once you connect your phone to that service, connect your phone to the cooker using your bluetooth service. You should then be able to connect the cooker to your wifi router using the app on your phone.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Thanks Sandy. Rexster has it figured out. No need for extender unless its out of WiFi coverage. For some reason I can now read the router label

RG

You have a 2.4 and 5g router. 4G is for phones. You need to look for the Frontier 2236 in your wifi setup on your phone. Once you connect your phone to that service, connect your phone to the cooker using your bluetooth service. You should then be able to connect the cooker to your wifi router using the app on your phone.
He said that the app won't install on his phone, for whatever reason, so he really has two issues.

A Airsick

Have you tried this? https://www.campchef.com/blog/how-to-set-up-camp-chef-connect/

Also, is your cellphone operating system up to date?
Make sure you've downloaded the correct app for you cellphone.
Google Play for Android devices and Apple APP store for ioS devices.
The two are not interchangable.

If your grill is too far away from your router then you will have trouble connecting to your home WIFI. If that is the case, then you would need a WIFI extender.

two was to change/turn on and off the wifi networks 2.4 and 5GHZ.
1. if you have an app the you can manage your wifi router with. or
2. the website you use to manage your wifi router.

Both should have an option (check box) to turn on and off either GHZ network. If you dont have either, maybe tell us the make and model? But you will need either the app or website that manages your wifi. The manufacturers website should have these for ya if you dont have them.
View attachment 523588

This is my internet router provided by Frontier. How can I change it to 4G and if I do how will the change affect other devices in my house? Can I get the extender
He said that the app won't install on his phone, for whatever reason, so he really has two issues.
Correct. Now that I have Verizon, the app will download, but won't open.

A Airsick

Have you tried this? https://www.campchef.com/blog/how-to-set-up-camp-chef-connect/

Also, is your cellphone operating system up to date?
Make sure you've downloaded the correct app for you cellphone.
Google Play for Android devices and Apple APP store for ioS devices.
The two are not interchangable.

If your grill is too far away from your router then you will have trouble connecting to your home WIFI. If that is the case, then you would need a WIFI extender.
Yes. I did all that Camp Chef told me to do. I put an extender 10' away from the smoker, but it's 5G.

Correct. Now that I have Verizon, the app will download, but won't open.
Which phone do you have? I have a Samsung S20 fe on Verison, and it works fine. Maybe uninstall the app and try reinstalling, if you haven't done that already. I had to uninstall and reinstall it awhile back, but I don't recall why.

I posted a link to the router instructions on how to set it up on your PC. from that set up control site you should be able to change the network frequency to 2.4 ghz for as long as you need and then turn the 5ghz back on.

have you tried this?

WIFI isn't the same as cell 5G. Your extender should broadcast at 2.4 ghz and 5ghz. The Camp Chef controller uses the 2.4ghz channel. Either way, until you get the app working on your phone, or some device, you're not going to be able to connect it to your WIFI

I posted a link to the router instructions on how to set it up on your PC. from that set up control site you should be able to change the network frequency to 2.4 ghz for as long as you need and then turn the 5ghz back on.

have you tried this?

His router doesn't have automatic band steering so he shouldn't need to turn off the 5Ghz band. But it won't hurt just to rule it out.

Yes. I did all that Camp Chef told me to do. I put an extender 10' away from the smoker, but it's 5G.
His router doesn't have automatic band steering so he shouldn't need to turn off the 5Ghz band. But it won't hurt just to rule it out.
The grill will not connect to his wifi without the app working on his phone. He needs to get that sorted first.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky