Camp Chef Disappointment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You have a 2.4 and 5g router. 4G is for phones. You need to look for the Frontier 2236 in your wifi setup on your phone. Once you connect your phone to that service, connect your phone to the cooker using your bluetooth service. You should then be able to connect the cooker to your wifi router using the app on your phone.
I am connected to 2236, but it's 5G.

You have a 2.4 and 5g router. 4G is for phones. You need to look for the Frontier 2236 in your wifi setup on your phone. Once you connect your phone to that service, connect your phone to the cooker using your bluetooth service. You should then be able to connect the cooker to your wifi router using the app on your phone.

This....The router will broadcast on two frequencies, 2.4 and 5. The 4G and 5G is specific to your phone cellular network and not the same as the router frequencies (apples and oranges here). First you need to see which frequency your phone is on (connected to your home wifi) and match that to the router broadcast frequency with the phone frequency connection. Next you connect to the app using your phones bluetooth service....make sure your bluetooth is turned on in your phone and you have allowed the app to use bluetooth. The bluetooth connection will configure the wifi connectivity once it connects to the smoker via bluetooth.

Edit, you also need to verify which wifi router frequency the smoker is compatible with. Many are only compatible with the 2.4 frequency, which is the most common. The 2.4 frequency is also very crowded and can have issues, hence the expansion to the 5.0 frequency.

Additional edit, the actual cell phone service provided wont be causing the app issue. It will be the phone operating system and the app. IE the two most common are iOS (Apple) and Android (Google) but there are many others Samsung, Nokia, and Windows. The app needs to be compatible with the operating system of your phone....

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
This....The router will broadcast on two frequencies, 2.4 and 5. The 4G and 5G is specific to your phone cellular network and not the same as the router frequencies (apples and oranges here). First you needs to see which frequency your phone is on (connected to your home wifi) and match that to the router broadcast frequency with the phone frequency connection. Next you connect to the app using your phones bluetooth service....make sure your bluetooth is turned on in your phone and you have allowed the app to use bluetooth. The bluetooth connection will configure the wifi connectivity once it connects to the smoker via bluetooth.

That should do it. We just need to figure out how to get the app working.

Reactions: DougE
A Airsick

You should perform a partition cache wipe on your phone to clean out any junk that maybe interferring with the campchef app.

EDIT: Uninstall the campchef app before you do the cache wipe. Then download the campchef app again from Google Play.

Close to done here, there is no way for the grill to know how to connect to the WIFI network without the user providing the network name(app will show available) and providing a password to get onto the network, not to mention that having a network connection, even if it were possible, without a working app on your phone is useless.

Try unplugging the smoker
Log out and delete the app.
Go to the bluetooth settings and look for campchef:xx:xx and forget or unpair it.
Reboot your phone
plug in the smoker and turn on the controller
re-download the app but wait at a couple of min before going into it after it has finished installing
Go in to the grill settings on the grill controller and make sure it is showing a grill ID.
Next open the app on the phone, search for the grill and it should ask you for a pin displayed from the grill.
Next select your WiFI name (FYI it has the camp chef only works on 2.4) and enter your SSID...

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Try unplugging the smoker
Log out and delete the app.
Go to the bluetooth settings and look for campchef:xx:xx and forget or unpair it.
Reboot your phone
plug in the smoker and turn on the controller
re-download the app but wait at a couple of min before going into it after it has finished installing
Go in to the grill settings on the grill controller and make sure it is showing a grill ID.
Next open the app on the phone, search for the grill and it should ask you for a pin displayed from the grill.
Next select your WiFI name (FYI it has the camp chef only works on 2.4) and enter your SSID...
He is having issues with the app even opening on his phone. That is the main issue that needs to be resolved.

Listen, I got my Camp Chef, be a year this April. I was on Verizon way before I got it. I installed the app, opened it, followed the instructions, and hooked right up to bluetooth and WIFI.

My internet provider is ATT fixed wireless, well, because aside from satellite internet (which I had and hated) is all we can get out here in the sticks.

Heck, if nothing else, you don't really need the grill connected to anything to function. Is it convenient as hell to be able to check on your cook remotely? Absolutely! But you can still cook on it just using the built in display on the controller.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky