Camp Chef Disappointment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Heck, if nothing else, you don't really need the grill connected to anything to function. Is it convenient as hell to be able to check on your cook remotely? Absolutely! But you can still cook on it just using the built in display on the controller.

I am sure the grill could still be connected with and controlled by Bluetooth.

I highly doubt his move to Verizon cell service has anything to do with what's going on though. well I'm about positive of that, unless Verizon just singled the OP out to block use of the app. on his phone, and not the rest of us Camp Chef owners.

Yeah. Whoever he was talking with at Verizon was just giving him the run around because they were clueless.

Well not sure about you A Airsick but if you understand all this as much as I do it gets frustrating at times...like get the hammer and I'll fix this damn phone! :emoji_blush:

But don't let it frustrate you too much! These guys bring up alot of good points, even if you don't understand it all. And not all customer service people are all too bright or are overworked and understaffed.
Ryan

And not all customer service people are all too bright or are overworked and understaffed
Or are in India, or Pakistan, or wherever. Although it doesn't happen often, I find it refreshing when I get a customer service agent whose first language is English, and they aren't just reading off a script, but actually listening to, and understanding what you are saying. I will note that I get the occasional Indian who is really helpful, but I don't find that to be the norm.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Try the uninstall, cache wipe, reinstall. Be careful in that recovery menu, you can easily wipe the phone with a fat finger. S8 is a decent phone, I would still have it if I hadn't cracked the screen. S8 was still receiving updates a few weeks back.

Do you have another phone you can try? Not a Verizon thing....its all the same software from play store. Are you running any anti virus or firewall? That may also be issue.

RG

Reactions: TNJAKE
I don't know if this will help any, but Camp Chef has a new update for the app, with some added features. Also a firmware update for the controller, which the app will take you through.

And that's 1 of the many reasons why SMF is awesome !
Got a problem? Let's see how it can be solved!

Try the uninstall, cache wipe, reinstall. Be careful in that recovery menu, you can easily wipe the phone with a fat finger. S8 is a decent phone, I would still have it if I hadn't cracked the screen. S8 was still receiving updates a few weeks back.

Do you have another phone you can try? Not a Verizon thing....its all the same software from play store. Are you running any anti virus or firewall? That may also be issue.

RG
OK. I did the cache wipe and re-installed the app. I assume it's the new and improved one. I called their customer assistance line to ask how I know if I got the latest version, but they don't work on Fridays, or Saturdays, or Sundays. No customer service on the days when their customers might need them?
The app that installed on my phone didn't look or work right. Some things didn't open and it just didn't look optimized for a cell phone.
I started 4 smokes, got up to my set temp and let it go through its shut down sequence successfully. The hot rod worked each time, obviously. Great!
WIFI and bluetooth was a different story. One time the smoker connected, to WIFI but it wouldn't pair with my phone. The other three times there was zero connection or pairing. The app and my phone both showed it paired, but the bluetooth logo on the smoker never showed a connection. Remember, the tech girl at Camp Chef said their app doesn't like Verizon. I really appreciate all the brain power you guys are using on this.

Remember, the tech girl at Camp Chef said their app doesn't like Verizon. I really appreciate all the brain power you guys are using on this.
She may have been meaning Verizon internet service. All android phones use the exact same apps from the same exact app store. Your cell carrier has nothing to do with how the app runs on your phone. That is handled by the internal android software you have running on your phone. It's quite possible that there could be some connectivity issues if you have Verizon for your home internet. it's also possible that the rep really doesn't have a clue. Wouldn't be the first time that happened. In general, if I have technical issues, I pass up the first line supporters as they are mainly trained to handle the simple stuff, and mainly read off a script.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
View attachment 523588

This is my internet router provided by Frontier. How can I change it to 4G and if I do how will the change affect other devices in my house? Will the $20 4g extender work?

You are getting WiFi GHZ signals mixed up with cell phone signals.

WiFi is either 2.4 GHZ or 5 GHZ. This has nothing to do with your cell phone being 4G or 5G. I repeat…. this has nothing to do with your phone being 4G or 5G.

First of all, you need to make sure your cell phone is actually connected to your router. The router we have sends out both 2.4 GHZ signals and 5 GHZ signals. The cell phone you have can connect to either, but your Camp Chef, and just about any other WiFi pellet grill only connects to 2.4 GHZ signals.

Is your phone connected to your WiFi router system? Go into your phones setting and see if it is. I have my cell phone set to automatically connect to the house WiFi when I am at the house. The phone does not use its cell signal at the home. All data is sent and retrieved from our internet provider. Can you tell if your phone is linked to Wifi and what GHZ it is connected at? It won’t matter at all if your phone is 4G or 5g, these are different frequencies. Only thing you should be looking at is either 2.4 GHZ or 5GHZ in the wifi settings of your phone.

Hey, guys. Late last year I bought a Woodwind 24 over the Rec Tec mainly because of the advertised WIFI/Bluetooth and customer service. Well the WIFI won't connect because I have 5G and they say their stuff only connects to 4G. Isn't the whole country going the 5G route?
I switched cell service to Verizon and now the app won't install.
On my third attempted smoke the hot rod wouldn't get hot, not even warm. Unreliability was the reason I took the Pit Boss to the dump! Now that my venting is over and before I call Cabela's to see if they'll take this thing back, Is there a way to convert a dedicated signal extender to 4G so it'll connect to my smoker
Not sure what they were telling you but the 5g 4g stuff doesn’t even come into play here. The Wi-Fi is local Wi-Fi which is different than your cellular connection for your phone. You should be connecting your smoker to the router in your house via Wi-Fi. Once your smoker is connected to your router you can connect to it basically anywhere. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky