Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It was kind of spooky to walk among those rows of tombstones, knowing you're walking over coffins. It makes me wonder, how did that guy get here? Or that guy? Or that guy? What disease or malnutrition or exposure or injury snuffed these young men? What families did they leave behind?

What cooking did they know?

Anyway, it's a quiet and dignified space, like a park, with a few mature trees. There used to be a bronze statue of a Confederate soldier but someone pulled it down back when that was the thing to do. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be much vandalism like kicked tombstones.

When you drive by on Sullivant Avenue, all you see is the stone perimeter fence. You can't see those rows of tombstones unless you get out and walk in through the gate. I would guess that very few people around here know that it's there.

Someone leaves flowers, though.

View attachment 377688

Each was someone's Son, someone's Brother, maybe someone's Dad or Grandpa.
Each died for their cause. Each died for their Army. And each died far from home.
And each deserves respect.
They are History. They were real. And try and remove or hide the facts is WRONG.
Just as saying the Rebel flag cannot be flown. If the Rebel flag cannot be flown, why in the hell can the Mexican, or any other nations flag be flown on US soil? (That chaps my butt!)
At least the Rebel Flag was a piece of American History.

I hope we never read a new post that ," the Offended " want the Graves dug up and removed. Shame really how we have become so Touchy Feely, oh I had a bad day I need to hug my Therapy Dog, everybody gets a Participation Trophy, Screw you guys, I'm going to my Safe Place, group of people that can't deal with the realities of life!...JJ

That's what bugs me about all of this 'cleansing' that these folks have been doing with regards to anything Confederate, the gross disrespect.

Agree or not with the politics (from 150 + years ago no less), these men were soldiers in their army. My bet is that 99.9% of today's 'offended' never served their country.

Reactions: greatfx1959
There is an area north of Columbus which was a major corridor for the Underground Railroad. It got the nickname of Africa, intended to be an insult, but the locals took it on, and to this day there is an Africa Road up there.

Think about it though. When I was a kid we rebelled with long hair, sit ins, we burned draft cards and bras. Its were free love started (I mean someone had to help get those bras off)., It was a great place to meet women, and we felt like we were going to change the world. Well we did get women the ability to wear pants to school.... They relaxed the dress codes, mostly. We got plastic shopping and trash bags which now are ruining the ecosystem even worse. Who knew?

Each generation needs its rebellion. It launches them into what they believe are adults. Have you not noticed there are as many men as women at the pink pussy hat march? More whites than blacks at the Remove the monuments gatherings, and these guys don't even know what a Nazi is other than when they display the insignia and have skin heads. They feel they can break the rules of engagement (the constitution), because they know they are right.

The big difference this time is, the left coast has banded them all together. The LGBT, the Me too, Black lives matter, Gun ownership, illegal aliens, etc etc etc.... then the other party decided they were all voters, so they added lessor party leadership. Seriously, they ran for President of the USA a cheated on white woman, and she could not even beat Trump, that has to be humiliating. Now they are acting like fools with any and all causes looking for a vote. But I digress.

Kids need a cause to fight for, to change the world. Change from paper to plastic to save the rain forests so we can breathe in 100 years! They just picked some bad choices and we let them get away with it because we had other battles to fight at the time. We considered those things more important or, we assumed that if left alone these movements like in the past would just peter out. They will but when being fueled by politicians now it will be the rallying cry of every election.

The pot is constantly being stirred so no one thing can be completed. I was really hoping that the immigration reform would be Trump's shining star.

Reactions: SonnyE
One thing about those tombstones is, they have no birth or death dates so you don't know how old the person was. There's just a grave number, a name, and the military unit they were with. I'll bet a lot of those guys were the same general age as the people in the Occupy events.

Those who either forget or ignore history are destined to repeat it...... (usually the mistakes are the part repeated)

The big difference this time is, the left coast has banded them all together. The LGBT, the Me too, Black lives matter, Gun ownership, illegal aliens, etc etc etc....

But, there are a few of us Natives (People actually born on the Left Coast before it became Leftist) who to this day are Red Dots in a blue state.
Consider me a kernel of corn, in the cesspool of the West Coast. Not one of the turds.... ;)

Great post Blue how does people today think you can remove history or change anything that has already happen that's history?

Warren

Great post Blue how does people today think you can remove history or change anything that has already happen that's history?

Warren

Well, they also think that if they sit in trees they'll save a forest, stomp their feet and chant they can overturn a National Election, and they deserve a trophy for participation.
Obviously, they weren't properly spanked as a child, and never learned to respect a damn thing.

Well, they also think that if they sit in trees they'll save a forest, stomp their feet and chant they can overturn a National Election, and they deserve a trophy for participation.
Obviously, they weren't properly spanked as a child, and never learned to respect a damn thing.

Spanked is that word even still in the dictionary? Today I think that it is described as child abuse.

Warren

I've heard that the raiding campaigns of both Union and Confederate forces across Kentucky make no military sense until you overlay a map of the distilleries.

While I was in college way back when. We had a trash can party at Hubbardton Battle field. After a few dips into the can we started talking about how many people may have died on the ground we were partying on. It started getting real creepy and the party broke up soon after. The next day we went back to retrieve some of the cars that were left there for one reason or another and found out we were nowhere near the actual battlefield, but we were able to envision what we were taught in class and came away with a new respect for those who fought to make our country what it is today.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky