Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
I happen to live near the Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery so as a nod to our Southern members I stopped in to take a first look and pay my respects. This is on the west side of Columbus, Ohio.

camp_chase_entrance.jpg

It's like a smaller version of Arlington National Cemetery. Many POWs who never made it home.

camp_chase_monument.jpg

Many stories

camp_chase_tombstones.jpg

Good pics,thanks for sharing.I love history and live in a place saturated in it.
I looked it up here. https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/lots/campchase.asp
Sounds like the place has quite an unsavory,sordid past by reading the history of it.

I just noticed the other day that the City of Winchester has changed their seal...again.
The last one had an understandable chronological order starting at the top with the indian.
Winchester_Virginia_Seal.jpg

The new one somehow got jumbled chronologically,maybe in an effort to make it more PC ? Non southerners probably wouldn't recognize/know the confederate flag in this one?

Reactions: SonnyE
Good pics,thanks for sharing.I love history and live in a place saturated in it.
I looked it up here. https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/lots/campchase.asp
Sounds like the place has quite an unsavory,sordid past by reading the history of it.

I just noticed the other day that the City of Winchester has changed their seal...again.
The last one had an understandable chronological order starting at the top with the indian.
View attachment 377676
The new one somehow got jumbled chronologically,maybe in an effort to make it more PC ? Non southerners probably wouldn't recognize/know the confederate flag in this one?

I absolutely abhor people trying to make true history fit their PC pablum.
It seems to be running rampant now.
One of my hobbies is Astrophotography, and while still relatively new at it, I find the names are being changed for timeless Deep space anomalies. One of my favorites now carries the name "Network Nebula", Changed from it's name Veil Nebula. For what stupid purpose do they need to try and dilute real history?

Well I thought I would share some views since it's right here nearby. It would be easy to go back and get more pics. I don't know if anyone has a map of whose names are in which rows, but I'll bet someone on this board has some kin there.

I'm a history dweeb, too. I consider it to be a form of respect for the efforts of those who have gone before us.

I thought the names would be on the VA site,but no,no names or even how many interred.
Since you're a history nerd too,check out our history.We're super rich in it,hell,the next ridge over from me,toward town (Apple Pie Ridge) is named for soldiers gettin' their pie on during the French/Indian/Revolutionary war under a Colonel George Washington.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester,_Virginia

I've been on the verge of taking up the hobby of rubbing tombstones. Strap a big piece of paper onto the stone and go with a big block of charcoal or chalk.

Edited to add, south of here there's a large effigy mound of a snake swallowing an egg. Apparently that's near to an ancient meteor strike. And look up the Newark Earthworks.

Last edited:
BTW is it just me or.......does it appear the soldierswere pretty skinny back then?
Where do you think the term "skinny little Redneck" comes from? Life member here :cool:
People were shorter and smaller then.
"According to historian Bell I. Wiley, who pioneered the study of the Civil War common soldier, the average Yank or Reb was a 'white, native-born, farmer, protestant, single, between 18 and 29.' He stood about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed about 143 pounds."

You take pictures of the Jetson's dog?

Not that I know of. Unless you count the black hole.... :confused:
(Hey, you opened that door. :) )

It was just another example of the PC crowd messing with things they should not.
The Rebel Flag is sacred and many men and some women died under it.
On my Mother's side, we lost family at the Alamo.
I think we all bear some sort of scars. ;)

Where do you think the term "skinny little Redneck" comes from? Life member here :cool:
People were shorter and smaller then.
"According to historian Bell I. Wiley, who pioneered the study of the Civil War common soldier, the average Yank or Reb was a 'white, native-born, farmer, protestant, single, between 18 and 29.' He stood about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed about 143 pounds."

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Add 2 inches and 40 years and you got me. LOL
Gary

"and they stole 2000 hams"

Imagine what it was like to have a bunch of men on horseback, with guns and hams, and mess with crossing the Ohio River.

The most bad ass skinny little Redneck of the Civil War -John Mosby.His raids and missions were epic.The Union called his men guerrillas.My fave is when he did this
Edwin Henry Stoughton (June 23, 1838 – December 25, 1868), was appointed a brigadier general in the Union Army during the American Civil War but his appointment was not confirmed and it expired. Four days later, on March 8, 1863, in a famous incident, he was captured while asleep at his headquarters at the Fairfax Court House in Virginia by Confederate partisan ranger John S. Mosby. Stoughton resigned after his exchange two months later when he was not reappointed as a brigadier general.
It is said that Mosby woke him by smacking him on the ass with his own saber.When he awoke he said "Tell me you have Mosby.".Mosby replied "It is Mosby who has you!"

You can read of some of Mosby's Partisan Rangers history here on Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43rd_Battalion,_Virginia_Cavalry

Sheridan systematically burnt his way through Mosby's territory,much like Shermans "March to the sea",to no avail.

It was kind of spooky to walk among those rows of tombstones, knowing you're walking over coffins. It makes me wonder, how did that guy get here? Or that guy? Or that guy? What disease or malnutrition or exposure or injury snuffed these young men? What families did they leave behind?

What cooking did they know?

Anyway, it's a quiet and dignified space, like a park, with a few mature trees. There used to be a bronze statue of a Confederate soldier but someone pulled it down back when that was the thing to do. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be much vandalism like kicked tombstones.

When you drive by on Sullivant Avenue, all you see is the stone perimeter fence. You can't see those rows of tombstones unless you get out and walk in through the gate. I would guess that very few people around here know that it's there.

Someone leaves flowers, though.

camp_chase_flowers.jpg

Good post . There's Calvary cemetery in St. Louis that is full of history from the area , but has alot of civil war and other military graves . They have a tour you take on your own , they give you a map and it tells a story along the way . Some of the markers are just 5 x 8 flat to the ground and they will say U S with a date no name . Others say civil war and a date , no name . Yeah makes you feel kind of small ,,,

There's a small town near here with a wall of veterans' memorial plaques. There are ones for the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, etc. One is for the WORLD WAR but it doesn't say World War One because at that time no one anticipated a second world war.

BTW is it just me or.......does it appear the soldierswere pretty skinny back then?

If it's like the one near us in Jonesboro, GA, it is actually a mass grave and only a certain number of headstones have names of usually the more prominent or higher ranking buried there. The markers are close together like that at ours also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky