Calling out a SmokeShop for not removing membrane...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas Watkins

Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Baltimore
I'm not going to name the restaurant I went to. But I got two racks of ribs to accompany my beers/spirits. They tout that they are a smokehouse - I get the ribs and the smoke ring looks good and the ribs look good. But when I tore into them, either I'm spoiled cause of this site - or because i was paying 20 dollars a rack, but as soon as I saw that back skin, I wanted to throw it on the ground. Thanks to the whiskey I made it through the meal, then on the way out, I went to the server and then to the manager asking why they would make such a rookie move, and they told me because of the volume, they don't always have time to remove it. I'm not a restaurant owner, so I'm guessing you have to cut corners? But i figure you get people to come back because of quality? What would have been your response?

What do you think is gained in your eating enjoyment by removing the membrane? Was the mere sight so repulsive it compelled you to throw it on the floor? Welcome to the site.

My response would be of enjoyment, not repulsiveness. I like gnawing on the rib bones to remove the membrane myself and further enjoy the smoky flavors of the rib bones. I've eaten them both ways and neither one is offensive. I've cooked them both ways and have enjoyed the non-removal vs. the removal more. Guess it's an "I paid for it, I'm gonna eat it" mentality.

I like to eat with all my senses. When i'm eating a rib and it just pulls apart, I think that 'feel' is fantastic. Nothing is hindering you from shoveling in that tasty meat, its tender it's flavorful. But when i go to pull a rib, and the membrane is still attached, first it's that tearing sound, (like chalkboard scratches to me), if it's not super crispy, then it's the decision of how hungry i am, if i should go through the trouble ripping it off. And then if you eat it, sometimes it can be very chewy, and or salty. Typically when i make ribs I give that skin to the dog while dressing the ribs. Now, this doesn't mean I didn't eat the ribs, cause I did!

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Welcome to SMF glad to have you on board. I can see where you are coming from I had the same thing happen did not think of throwing then in the floor or even go to the manager but I have not returned to the restaurant either. I did not like the crunch of the dried out membrane.

Warren

My response would be of enjoyment, not repulsiveness. I like gnawing on the rib bones to remove the membrane myself and further enjoy the smoky flavors of the rib bones. I've eaten them both ways and neither one is offensive. I've cooked them both ways and have enjoyed the non-removal vs. the removal more. Guess it's an "I paid for it, I'm gonna eat it" mentality.
I could not have said that better.

Thomas Watkins Thomas Watkins
I often don't remove the membrane off the back of pork ribs, I just remove excess fat.
There is nothing replusive about rib membrane.

There are some benefits to it, benefits I can see helping in a fast paced restaurant
environment as well as my patio.
The manager was honest and forthcoming about valid time saving practices.

As long as the meat is tender and juicy, and the flavor is good I don't care.

You sound like the rib rookie to me.
Nothing wrong with that either, we all have our ignorances, preferences and habits.

Welcome to SMF.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: greatfx1959
Someone on here said/showed a cook with membrane on and the juice it helped retain. AL maybe? Either way i haven't removed the membrane until after the cook and rest period if taking somewhere. If eating at I home I leave on

As a professional chef, who has worked in many restaurants, some of which would be considered fine dining, the we don't have time excuse doesn't cut it. I have led a staff of 300 cooks and 1500 servers for 15 restaurants and any of my chefs that said they didn't have time were cut from the company pretty quickly. That said, I personally like the membrane on for a rib that doesn't fall off the bone but I understand that peoples opinions differ greatly in regards to food. In my time being a chef, had someone addressed a person of the food with your question I would have expected them to bring me out of the kitchen to answer your question personally, and I would have stated that we didn't do that because its personal preference and that I would keep that in mind so I could make sure some racks had no membrane so you could request that on your next visit. I've worked shifts for holidays where I went in at 5 am and didn't leave until 5 am the next day to make sure I was prepared for the holiday and the following day to make sure there was time to hit every aspect possible and make sure prep was done properly. Not every cook is cut out to be a chef, last new years was an instance where I went in at 5 am knowing I had 175 tables reserved and had another 200 walk in and kept my restaurant open to serve them. Asking to speak to the manager was the wrong choice, you want to talk to the head chef/executive chef/sous chef as they can make those changes happen for you. Cutting corners in food service doesn't help anyone. We use all fresh ingredients and make everything from scratch, even our salad dressings and complimentary bread. Not every place is the same though, if you're paying $20 a rack you do expect proper service and quality, and a true chef respects that and takes your criticism to heart. When you are unsatisfied with food, make sure you address the chef in charge though, they hold the power over food.

Last edited:
Yes Al's perfect rib recipe keeps the membrane on but sears it off on grill to get rid of it which really works. I'm now doing my ribs that way.

Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes. I rather not deal with a membrane. I've also noticed that sometimes if I order beef ribs at a place, they come to me with membrane and seems a little under cooked. I call it "gamey" b/c I like my beef ribs rendered.

I can understand why you are upset as you want the food done the way you like it. I would not call it a rookie move though as I know there are some BBQ restaurants that have been in business a long time that never remove the membrane from the ribs. As for me I prefer them off and usually remove them at home. Sometimes though I myself get in a hurry or lazy and leave it on.

I see I've stirred things up! Well, I guess we all have a preference. Next time I will be a bit more mindful! I've been cooking pork for sometime now, foil or banana leaves and a water/beer bowl works for me and they always turn out juicy!

Chilli I can't get you jest here first you call some of us rookie ribbers then you compare us to Aaron Franklin??
I by no means think my personal preference makes me a rookie or anyone else theirs.

Warren

Chilli I can't get you jest here first you call some of us rookie ribbers then you compare us to Aaron Franklin??
I by no means think my personal preference makes me a rookie or anyone else theirs.

Warren

Exactly!!! Personal preference is what it's all about when it comes to food

Reactions: chilerelleno
Exactly!!! Personal preference is what it's all about when it comes to food

Yes, personal preference is what it's about. Was the manager wrong to tell you the reason they don't? Not neccesarily, if that's the reason then at the end of the day that's a perfectly acceptable reason. But don't act like a temperamental toddler(throw it on the floor) and bash a restaurant because they choose not to prepare THEIR food the was you prefer it. I don't order a slab at a restaurant and get mad because they sauced the ribs even though I don't sauce mine. You went to that restaurant to eat their food, and that's what you were served.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky