California Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dahookup11

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
SoCal
Haha, what's up SMF? Here's another go at a nice 3# tri-tip. Smoked for 2 hrs until 155 IT. Then wrapped till 170ish. Great smoke ring, wow, fantastic flavor.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Last edited:

I bet that was tasty!

One question - do you prefer the well done vs medium rare?

Thx

Martin
Good question. I normally pull my TT's at about 140, or even 135, foil and hold for an hour or so. Almost perfect MR in the middle for me & those OK with that. The end pieces can go to those liking more medium or medium +.

Good question. I normally pull my TT's at about 140, or even 135, foil and hold for an hour or so. Almost perfect MR in the middle for me & those OK with that. The end pieces can go to those liking more medium or medium +.
Everyone seems to enjoy MR. I might just give lower temps a try next round.

This is from a Dirt Sailor thread. I don't think he would mind me re-posting his pics to clarify the best way to carve a tri-tip so the meat melts in your mouth. Cut across the fat middle section, rotate the roast 1/4 turn and cut going inwards. And, to me, a perfect example of MR on a TT.......Willie

the other half, same way

beautiful roast, no?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky