• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

California Tri-Tip

dahookup11

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 25, 2013
Haha, what's up SMF? Here's another go at a nice 3# tri-tip. Smoked for 2 hrs until 155 IT. Then wrapped till 170ish. Great smoke ring, wow, fantastic flavor.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Last edited:

polishmeat

Meat Mopper
Joined May 30, 2009
I bet that was tasty!

One question - do you prefer the well done vs medium rare?

Thx

Martin

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010

I bet that was tasty!

One question - do you prefer the well done vs medium rare?

Thx

Martin
Good question. I normally pull my TT's at about 140, or even 135, foil and hold for an hour or so. Almost perfect MR in the middle for me & those OK with that. The end pieces can go to those liking more medium or medium +.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Nice looking tri tip. Looks like you are eating well!

Disco

thunderdome

Master of the Pit
Joined Nov 19, 2009
Lookin good! Next time see if you like any better when sliced the other way

bigr314

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 4, 2011
Never smoked a Tri-Tip before. looks great. I will try one next smoke. thanks for the pics.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 23, 2010
That is one purty piece o' meat right there!

Nicely done!!!

Bill

chuckles

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 27, 2013
Looks great. I'm adding Tri-Tip to my list. So many things on my list, so little time.

dahookup11

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 25, 2013
Good question. I normally pull my TT's at about 140, or even 135, foil and hold for an hour or so. Almost perfect MR in the middle for me & those OK with that. The end pieces can go to those liking more medium or medium +.
Everyone seems to enjoy MR. I might just give lower temps a try next round.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010
This is from a Dirt Sailor thread. I don't think he would mind me re-posting his pics to clarify the best way to carve a tri-tip so the meat melts in your mouth. Cut across the fat middle section, rotate the roast 1/4 turn and cut going inwards. And, to me, a perfect example of MR on a TT.......Willie

the other half, same way

beautiful roast, no?

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.