Cajun Smoked Turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by jeff jackson, Nov 23, 2011.

1. I just smoked my first turkey last night and it came out just awesome.  All in all I was very please for my first bird.  Here are the specs:

Brine - I soaked this bad boy in a homemade brine for 24 hrs before beginning the smoke.

Injection - I used Tony's Cajun butter to inject the bird.  I just injected the bird in all the major muscle.  I used about half the bottle.  I didn't want to over do it for my first bird.

Rub - I used Tony's Cajun seasoning as a rub.  I didn't over do it  but i made sure the whole bird was covered.

Glaze - During the last 45 min I glazed the bird while it was in the smoking with a honey and Tony's Cajun seasoning mix.

Wood - I used apple chips.  I had problems with the chips burning up too fast.  I tried wrapping them in foil but I still didn't have much luck.

Temp - started at 200 Degrees until I reaching 140 internal temp and then I boosted the temp to 300

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good.  I hope ya got to 140 in under 4 hrs.  I love smoked turkey!

3. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Man......that glaze really brings out the beautiful color of the bird [​IMG]

[​IMG]       [​IMG]     [​IMG]

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking bird Jeff!

5. Thanks everyone.  I was real pleased with the outcome of this bird everyone who has sampled the bird really like it.  I will let you know how many leftovers I have.

6. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That bird looks beautiful. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

7. I think it does!

8. jamesdouglas

jamesdouglas Fire Starter

that looks great. great job.

9. raastros2

raastros2 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Dont ever put tonys on something and just call it cajun...:devil: