Cajun Crawfish Cornbread Casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Making some Cajun Crawfish Cornbread Casserole. This stuff is really good. Do not buy china crawfish as you will ruin your dish. This is what I buy:

20210109_093014.jpg

Everything ready:

20210109_095255.jpg

Mixed up and in pan. Normally use a cast iron pan but taking this to the brewery to meet with friends.

20210109_095818.jpg

This how would look in CI

cajun-crawfish-cornbread-casserole-in-cast-iron-skillet.jpg

Recipe:
Ingredients
  • 1 lb pound, peeled and partially cooked or fully cooked crawfish tails (12 oz package can be substituted), defrosted
  • 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning or seasoned salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup chopped)
  • 1 large jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) (optional)
  • 1 (4 oz) jar diced pimentos
  • 1 (14.75 oz) can cream-style corn
  • 2 large eggs beaten
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus additional oil for oiling casserole dish
  • 1 cup (4 oz) sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix OR 2 cups of family size Martha White Sweet Cornbread and Muffin mix OR substitute 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, 2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt — increase cornmeal to 2 cups for firmer casserole

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9″x13″ casserole dish or 10″ cast iron skillet.
  2. In medium bowl, combine crawfish tales, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Set side.
  3. In large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, diced pimentos, cream style corn, eggs, vegetable oil and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
  4. Add in the seasoned crawfish tails.
  5. Add the cornbread mix. Pour into oiled 9″ x 13″ casserole dish or oiled 10″ cast iron skillet.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes until bubbly, browned on top and edges begin to pull away from sides of casserole dish.
  7. Remove from oven, let set on counter for 15 – 20 minutes, then cut into 6 slices and serve.
Done

20210109_105054.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man that looks good! Of course I'd have to come to your house to eat it as I'm the only one that likes that kind of stuff. What does the China tails do?
Jim

Last edited:
Holy crap does that look good!
I’m thinking you could use any seafood in it, but I can buy frozen crawfish at Walmart. DARN BROTHER Your killing me with all these recipes.
Al

What does the China tails do?
China still uses very unhealthy chemical pesticides on the rice fields used to grow crawfish. So, crawfish being filter feeders, the pesticides end up in the crawfish...and in you if you eat them.

Not to mention, china does not give a crap about pollution of every kind. and that is in the water too.

Now that is smomething I would really enjoy. Nice work Brian. And nice work including the substitutions on the recipe. Big like and bookmarked!

China still uses very unhealthy chemical pesticides on the rice fields used to grow crawfish. So, crawfish being filter feeders, the pesticides end up in the crawfish...and in you if you eat them.

Not to mention, china does not give a crap about pollution of every kind. and that is in the water too.

Yup---Just like Tilapia from over there!!!

Bear

Reactions: indaswamp
Now that is smomething I would really enjoy. Nice work Brian. And nice work including the substitutions on the recipe. Big like and bookmarked!
I had found the recipe on the web. Wanted to try something different with crawfish. This sounded good and it is.

Reactions: Sowsage
Thanks for the recipe and I have to second the notion to avoid the China bugs. I've used Bernard's crawfish before and once or twice they were good but the last time or two they were nasty. With a name like Bernard's I thought they were legit but never noticed where they came from until recently.

Yeah Buddy! I could eat some of that with a couple of Cold Beers!...JJ

I remember this one Brian. I still havit it bookmarked.. Looks really good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky