Cajun Crawfish Cornbread Casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep glad you did Brian! Never had crawfish so have to see what's available around here for frozen. But looks really good!

Ryan

Yep glad you did Brian! Never had crawfish so have to see what's available around here for frozen. But looks really good!

Ryan
Sam's carries it. Just make sure it from the USA. Sometimes that put something like Packaged US but will see comes from China. That stuff has really bad flavor.

Making some Cajun Crawfish Cornbread Casserole. This stuff is really good. Do not buy china crawfish as you will ruin your dish. This is what I buy:

View attachment 479346

Everything ready:

View attachment 479350

Mixed up and in pan. Normally use a cast iron pan but taking this to the brewery to meet with friends.

View attachment 479348

This how would look in CI

View attachment 479349

Recipe:
Ingredients
  • 1 lb pound, peeled and partially cooked or fully cooked crawfish tails (12 oz package can be substituted), defrosted
  • 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning or seasoned salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup chopped)
  • 1 large jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) (optional)
  • 1 (4 oz) jar diced pimentos
  • 1 (14.75 oz) can cream-style corn
  • 2 large eggs beaten
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus additional oil for oiling casserole dish
  • 1 cup (4 oz) sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix OR 2 cups of family size Martha White Sweet Cornbread and Muffin mix OR substitute 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, 2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt — increase cornmeal to 2 cups for firmer casserole

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9″x13″ casserole dish or 10″ cast iron skillet.
  2. In medium bowl, combine crawfish tales, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Set side.
  3. In large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, diced pimentos, cream style corn, eggs, vegetable oil and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
  4. Add in the seasoned crawfish tails.
  5. Add the cornbread mix. Pour into oiled 9″ x 13″ casserole dish or oiled 10″ cast iron skillet.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes until bubbly, browned on top and edges begin to pull away from sides of casserole dish.
  7. Remove from oven, let set on counter for 15 – 20 minutes, then cut into 6 slices and serve.
Done

View attachment 479561
I've been wanting to make this one for a while and finally decided to give it a try. I just had one question for you.
My local grocery store had the same frozen crawfish tails that you have pictured. The package doesn't say if they are cooked or uncooked. Just says "Heat to 185". Do I need to cook them any first or just thaw and use as is?
Thanks!

Reactions: Bearcarver
Thought I would bring this up with the holiday weekend coming up. This is a great dish to share with friends. I will be taking it down to the river this week.

Thought I would bring this up with the holiday weekend coming up. This is a great dish to share with friends. I will be taking it down to the river this week.
Thanks for the reminder Brian. Crawfish is still in the freezer and I have GOT to try this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky