C.I. Pot Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good morning!
So I was standing in the checkout line the other day and saw this:
cookbook.jpg (There's a reason they put cookbooks at checkout lines.)
I'd been looking for ideas for the 15" pan that came with my new grill and had just cleaned up and re-seasoned
a 10" and 8" that had been hanging in the garage. I bought it.
We found a recipe we liked that was fairly simple:
recipe.jpg
It called for sirloin but I had a piece of lean chuck left over from some "no veal" Weisswurst that turned out to be exactly 1-1/4 #. Cool.
roast.jpg cut roast.jpg veggies.jpg
I finally got permission from the boss to use a C.I. skillet on the flat top range under penalty of death if I scratched it.
Browned the meat and set aside, simmered the gravy and vegetables for a bit then added the meat.
meat cooked.jpg gravy.jpg
Rolled out triangles of the canned crescent rolls for the crust and stuck it in the oven. 18 minutes later it was done.
pinwheel.jpg done pinwheel.jpg
Yum!
plated pinwheel.jpg
The C.I. pans are going to be getting a little more use :-)
Thanks for looking and have a great day!
Dan

Looks delicious from here!
You could totally do that in the smoker too! Brave man doing that CI on the flat top stove! HAHA

Reactions: SmokyMose
Looks great Dan . I'm hooked on whole birds in the dutch oven .

I use my CI pans daily on mine . Never even worried about it . No scratches yet .

What size of Dutch Oven are you using? Luckily I don't have a flat top so I don't have to worry about that!

Looks great Dan . I'm hooked on whole birds in the dutch oven .

I use my CI pans daily on mine . Never even worried about it . No scratches yet .
Thank you!
When I was single I had a dutch oven I used a lot, but when the Mrs. and I got together she said she didn't like the taste from cast iron.
I don't recall what happened to it but I no longer have it. I've been wanting to try something with one on the open fire grill and kick myself every time I see the price of a new one. I'll eventually get another one.
Good to know about the "no scratches" :-)

Reactions: kilo charlie
What size of Dutch Oven are you using?
I have 2 . The one I use for the chickens is a small 4 quart .

I've been wanting to try something with one on the open fire cooker
Yeah me too . I have one with legs and the lip on the lid .
she said she didn't like the taste of Cast Iron (?).
Yeah , I find that sometimes if they sit too long . I did eggs in one of mine yesterday . Had a funny taste , but that's not normal for me .
Just keep your eye out . You'll find one around for cheap .

Thank you!
When I was single I had a dutch oven I used a lot, but when the Mrs. and I got together she said she didn't like the taste from cast iron.
I don't recall what happened to it but I no longer have it. I've been wanting to try something with one on the open fire grill and kick myself every time I see the price of a new one. I'll eventually get another one.
Good to know about the "no scratches" :-)

Honestly, yard or garage sales are a good way to find them.. and if they're rusty you can get it cheaper and clean them up quite easily!

Wish there was a way to get rid of a botched post....

Blame it on the public school system.

I own two CI pans and both have been sitting in the garage coated in motor oil. My son decided to use them when he changed the oil on his car a few years ago. Both are around 60 plus years old I believe. At least they won't rust.

Chris

Blame it on the public school system.

I own two CI pans and both have been sitting in the garage coated in motor oil. My son decided to use them when he changed the oil on his car a few years ago. Both are around 60 plus years old I believe. At least they won't rust.

Chris

Some of those older pans can be worth some money... Dumping out the oil and filling them with some fine saw dust or kitty litter will help pull the remaining oil out of them and then you can strip them down and reseason them if you're interested in a little bit of work and can spare some elbow grease.

Reactions: gmc2003
Dang SmokyMose SmokyMose , that some darn good country food. I’d pull up a chair, no questions asked. We us CI all the time on our flat top. Eventually the grease runs through the porous cast iron and will leave a dark burned stain around the burner. Cleans up fine though. No worries. Nice job. Made me hungry.

I'm going to keep my eye out for that cookbook. Thanks for sharing another great cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky