C.I. Pot Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you!
When I was single I had a dutch oven I used a lot, but when the Mrs. and I got together she said she didn't like the taste from cast iron.
I don't recall what happened to it but I no longer have it. I've been wanting to try something with one on the open fire grill and kick myself every time I see the price of a new one. I'll eventually get another one.
Good to know about the "no scratches" :-)

Hey Dan'o,
Check Craig's List. I buy C.I. goodies there often.
I use C.I. 90% of the time, if your wife was tasting the iron your D.O. wasn't seasoned well enough.
A well seasoned piece of C.I. doesn't leave any iron taste whatsoever, even when cooking pasta sauce with highly acidic tomatoes.

Season your iron stuff 5 to 6X before you use them, then after each use scrub with a chainmail covered sponge. Rinse well, then coat with saved bacon fat or veg oil or better yet melted shortening and put in the burner to dry it at med-hi heat for 5 minutes.

After using them for a while, the seasoning will build up a nice thick, damn near nonstick coating.

Cast iron loves bacon fat and peppers and onions cooked in them or pancakes cooked in butter and melted shortening. Keep them seasoned up well, and she won't taste the iron from the pan or dutch oven.

Try it out.
Also a Dan.:emoji_laughing:👍

P.S. I can't stand those glass cooking surfaces, I used one at a girlfriends house for years and never scratched it, and I wasn't babying it at all. 👍 👍👍

Reactions: SmokyMose
I'm a huge CI (Pans & Dutch) fan and user of them! Nice meal. Here is another thing to try....next time smoke a chuck roast to just below pulling temp the day before and then use that smoked chuck. We do this all the time in our house....it is the bomb!

Honestly, yard or garage sales are a good way to find them.. and if they're rusty you can get it cheaper and clean them up quite easily!
Hit the Salvation Army store or Goodwill also. Sometimes you can find some steals there. And I use my CI on the flattop stove. I'm just careful not to drag it across the top. And this is being added to my "to do" list. Looks darn good. and simple too!
Jim

That looks very tasty !! Good job on obtaining permission from your "Commander In Chief " to use the flat top ! If I could only educate my CIC to allow me such luxuries ....

That looks very tasty !! Good job on obtaining permission from your "Commander In Chief " to use the flat top ! If I could only educate my CIC to allow me such luxuries ....
It's around 5 years old now and the "new" has worn off.
Probably the only reason she caved....

Reactions: poacherjoe
YUM! Pot pie has been on my must try list for a while. maybe when its less than 100 degrees out.

YUM! Pot pie has been on my must try list for a while. maybe when its less than 100 degrees out.
Thank you! Actually this was in the oven in the house.
It's "only" 90 here but that's too hot for me to be playing with fire outside.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky