Buttermilk and yogurt for starter cultures in dried cured sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I've used buttermilk for tangy flavor when making summer sausage.

I want to try to make a dry cure product using cure #2 and cultured buttermilk and or yogurt for fermentation.

Thoughts? Anyone try this? If so, tips are appreciated.

Yes i have done both. Takes time as not as fast as a fermentation agent.
Try some GOOD quality Sauerkraut liquid (not the cheap stuff)

Reactions: bill ace 350
Thanks!

Would you be willing to share a little more of your technique, such as fermentation time and temperature for the buttermilk, yogurt and sauerkraut juice?

I'm really want to try this.

is there anything in particular I should look for on a sauerkraut container?

I have access to bagged, canned, and jarred sauerkraut, can get German sauerkraut in a jar as well.

Will try buttermilk first. Get some ph strips and test a few temps and times, see what I come up with.

If you can find some kraut that is god, not that cheap bagged stuff. Buttermilk will take some time to work and you can get spoilage in the meat. BM works goo in smoked sausage for a tang

Any commonly available sauerkraut you'd recommend?

When buying sauerkraut at the store beware that the canned and jarred sauerkraut varieties do not offer the Live Cultures you need. They have been Pasteurized. To get the Active Cultures, that you are looking for, you need to stick to the refrigerated options. You should specifically look for selections that say “probiotic” or “raw” on the package...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
Like JJ said you need really good kraut. I cant remember which one i used at the time. When we lived up in PA.

If you have a German deli around they will have it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky