• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Buttermilk and yogurt for starter cultures in dried cured sausage

bill ace 350

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 28, 2013
I've used buttermilk for tangy flavor when making summer sausage.

I want to try to make a dry cure product using cure #2 and cultured buttermilk and or yogurt for fermentation.

Thoughts? Anyone try this? If so, tips are appreciated.

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Yes i have done both. Takes time as not as fast as a fermentation agent.
Try some GOOD quality Sauerkraut liquid (not the cheap stuff)

bill ace 350

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 28, 2013
Thanks!

Would you be willing to share a little more of your technique, such as fermentation time and temperature for the buttermilk, yogurt and sauerkraut juice?

I'm really want to try this.

is there anything in particular I should look for on a sauerkraut container?

I have access to bagged, canned, and jarred sauerkraut, can get German sauerkraut in a jar as well.

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
If you can find some kraut that is god, not that cheap bagged stuff. Buttermilk will take some time to work and you can get spoilage in the meat. BM works goo in smoked sausage for a tang

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
When buying sauerkraut at the store beware that the canned and jarred sauerkraut varieties do not offer the Live Cultures you need. They have been Pasteurized. To get the Active Cultures, that you are looking for, you need to stick to the refrigerated options. You should specifically look for selections that say “probiotic” or “raw” on the package...JJ

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Like JJ said you need really good kraut. I cant remember which one i used at the time. When we lived up in PA.

If you have a German deli around they will have it.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks