Butt halved SUCCESS!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
I forget who gave me the idea but finally had a chance to run a butt that I cut in half and promised I would post my results. 8lbs typically took 15hrs or so whole and that really was a PITA to line up with my schedule. This one took around 8hrs and is perfect for me schedule. Nearly half the time and twice the bark. Once again, SMF crew kicking my game up! THANKS

Cliff notes: Injected with Mixon's based on weight and STPP, no rub, overnight pellicle, 275F, AMNPS oak pellets, larger hunk nearest element, 205F IT. Smaller chunk with bone came apart coming off the smoker.

20200531_074937_resized.jpg
20200531_172830_resized.jpg

That's a fine looking bowl of pulled pork, Zwiller.

So far, I have resisted cutting a butt in half. I haven't analyzed my thoughts, but it just doesn't seem right, but I figure two hours per pound to smoke a butt and the one I have in the freezer is a big one. I think I'm going to have to just get over the cutting it in half part and just give it a try.

Reactions: zwiller
I love pulled pork and your looks mighty fine.
Nice piece of work zwiller, looks great and it's wonderful when a plan comes together. RAY
Looks mighty good!!
Al
That's a fine looking bowl of pulled pork, Zwiller.

So far, I have resisted cutting a butt in half. I haven't analyzed my thoughts, but it just doesn't seem right, but I figure two hours per pound to smoke a butt and the one I have in the freezer is a big one. I think I'm going to have to just get over the cutting it in half part and just give it a try.
Yours looks fantastic I think I'm going to do that next time also. Double the bark is a good thing.
Thanks gents! I really owe SMF for taking my PP to the level it is. I learned so much here about it and got consistent enough I could experiment and take it to the level that it is now.

Looks great Sam. I gotta try this! Last week it took 17 hours for an 8 pounder! Anything to cut the cook time down and create more bark? Yes please. Enjoy. This forum has really helped me up all of my cooking.

Mike

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great . I like doing the small ones . I'll buy the biggest I can find . Trim out the whole muscle , then the fat cap and the rest goes for sausage .
Nice work Sam .

Nice Job, Sam!!
Like.
A lot of Members recommend cutting a butt in half.
I only add that it's the thickness that causes the length of time needed.
So cut the butt in the direction that gives you the 2 thinnest pieces you can get.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky