Busy sausage day here. 4 types, 30 pounds!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Ground and mixed the following over Friday night and yesterday.

8 pounds of sweet Italian
9 pounds of pepperoni (non-fermented)
6 pounds of chicken basil
10 pounds of summer sausage

SS is in the smoker, and half the chicken is poaching, but here's what's hanging, waiting for the smoker or poacher...

Had a small pepperoni chub, so I poached it earlier to see how it was. I'll do it again!

More to come later after all smoked/poached.

You folks are freekin sausage making maniacs..............
icon14.gif

You folks are freekin sausage making maniacs..............Thumbs Up

Most all that I make goes to family members. I also take care of the boys in my maintenance department, they eat well on Mondays!

The chicken sausage is for my lunches, tastes great, and very low fat.

You folks are freekin sausage making maniacs..............Thumbs Up

Most all that I make goes to family members. I also take care of the boys in my maintenance department, they eat well on Mondays!

The chicken sausage is for my lunches, tastes great, and very low fat.

Wish my boss brought that kinda stuff to work... We're lucky to get a cup of coffee ! :biggrin:

So what's in the chicken sausage, besides chicken and basil? My converted vegetarian wife ( had one of my smoked burgers) won't eat pork or beef sausages.

So what's in the chicken sausage, besides chicken and basil? My converted vegetarian wife ( had one of my smoked burgers) won't eat pork or beef sausages.
I used Len Poli's recipe.  The only item I don't use is the sodium polyphosphate.  This is the 4th or 5th time I've made them and they are great! 

I poach these sausages at 170° until I get a 160° IT.  The nuke nicely as well for lunch!

Wish my boss brought that kinda stuff to work... We're lucky to get a cup of coffee !
biggrin.gif
I'm the Environmental, Health and Safety manager for a large corporation, and those boys bust their tails to make sure that we have 100% compliance and up time.  When I first went to work there they were worried that I would be the stereotypical "safety guy", I work with them side by side and get dirty along with them when I can, so they've really come around.

So, they bust tail for me over a weekend to make things work, I bring in fresh cooked stuff for lunch on Monday.  Tomorrow will be italian sausage and the fixings to make a darn good sammich.  The wife also made a pistachio cake for them since they sent me home early on Saturday...  That usually means they wanted to do something I wouldn't want to witness! 
icon_eek.gif

Wish my boss brought that kinda stuff to work... We're lucky to get a cup of coffee ! :biggrin:

I'm the Environmental, Health and Safety manager for a large corporation, and those boys bust their tails to make sure that we have 100% compliance and up time.  When I first went to work there they were worried that I would be the stereotypical "safety guy", I work with them side by side and get dirty along with them when I can, so they've really come around.

So, they bust tail for me over a weekend to make things work, I bring in fresh cooked stuff for lunch on Monday.  Tomorrow will be italian sausage and the fixings to make a darn good sammich.  The wife also made a pistachio cake for them since they sent me home early on Saturday...  That usually means they wanted to do something I wouldn't want to witness!  :icon_eek:

That would be awesome to have a boss that got in the trenches... That means a lot to them I'am sure ! Sounds like ya have a great team ! Thumbs Up

Your sausages look great & I love anything pistachio.... Lucky guys tomorrow ! Thumbs Up

Take care

Unfortunately I have to put up with guys like you on a daily basis being a maintenance mechanic in the pharmaceutical industry for over 30 years....lol         Crap... Where's my lock and tag dang it.. hurry up!  Safety's out and about today so beware....... Ah Sh%t.. there's safety...lol  Our HSE manager has tried to bust me a few times unsuccessfully. Our procedures are extreme and vague. I follow OSHA's standard 29 cfr and I'm good.............. you guys are appreciated. You make sure we go home every day.....

Chicken sausage all poached up. Had to have a sample for a snack!

Summer sausage done as well, we all know what it looks like, but here it is anyway. :biggrin:

Italian is in the smoker and it'll be late before it's done. Pepperoni is still in the frig. I'll do it tomorrow.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks good. I am interested in the italian and pep.

Looks good. I am interested in the italian and pep.
I'm having to work over tonight since we've had some issues, but I'll post the recipes tomorrow night.  They are recipes found on the net, but I've tweaked them a bit to meet my taste.  Red wine in place of water, added NFDM, some additional spices...

what summer sausage recipe do you use?  Would love to see what it looks like.
Same as above Smokepone, I'll post them tomorrow.

Cranky B.  you deserve points for all you do. Great job!!  Reinhard
I love my hobbies!  I like to build things (smokers, controllers, etc.), I love to cook (as you can see), and I love to make people feel appreciated.  I can't always do volunteer work, but I can cook for some folks!

EDIT: Forgot to add a pic of the finished Italians.  It was too late to sample them.  Chilled, packed, frig...

Last edited:
Reactions: pc farmer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky