Burgers 2 Ways - Some Flattop Work

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Brisket finally came on sale for $1.99lb, butts at 99¢lb. Time to pound out some burgers! First up, 20 pounds of Hipshot burger
12 pounds brisket
8 pounds porkbutt
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
3/4 cup SPC
1/3 cup canning salt
1/4 cup CBP
2 cups ice cold milk
DSCN3325.JPG

8.75lb porkbutt deboned. I 've a few of these before
DSCN3326.JPG

16.5lb brisket trimmed to 12 pounds, nothing wasted but the cow itself!
DSCN3327.JPG

Butt and brisket near frozen, run thru medium grinder plate
DSCN3328.JPG

Whisk the dry ingredients with the milk, everything goes for a 10 minutes ride in the meat mixer
DSCN3329.JPG

It tilts!
DSCN3332.JPG

In the fridge while all the gear gets cleaned up, then pressed into 1/2 pound patties and vac-sealed
DSCN3333.JPG

Hipshots are delicious and economical to make, usually cooked on the Weber over direct hot coals 3&1/2 minutes a side. Straight brisket burgers, trimmed.

DSCN3334.JPG

DSCN3335.JPG

Grind thru the same medium plate
DSCN3336.JPG

3/4 pound patties, form when you want 'em.
DSCN3337.JPG

These burgers are best on the flattop, made some buns to accommodate their size
DSCN2248.JPG

Flattop heated up and ready to go
DSCN3172.JPG

Caramelized onions
DSCN3199.JPG

Homemade maple-honey bacon
DSCN3203.JPG

Get that burger cookin' in the bacon grease!
DSCN3204.JPG

DSCN3205.JPG

Put a hat on it, melt in some cheese, pile on the bacon
DSCN3206.JPG

Off and ready to assemble!
DSCN3207.JPG

I like my burgers medium rare. When you grind your own meat and have confidence in the cleanliness of the process there's nothing to worry about, unlike buying ground beef from your local market.
DSCN3208.JPG

No salad, shrooms, or guac needed or wanted, these burgers stand on their own, not even room for fries. You'd be hard pressed to find a burger done like this in a restaurant, and at a affordable price. Thanks for lookin' in and y'all stay safe out there! RAY

Dang , all you didn't do was kill the cow ! Fantastic . I know what you mean , they don't need anything but you to eat it . You got the buns lookin real good too . Must be all the dog walkin ! Lol .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Heck yeah ray. Delicious looking burger. Nice post bud!

Thanks Jake! I hadn't tossed anything up here in a bit, figured I'd leave some room for all the new guys. Got the flattop going shortly for breakfast! RAY

Dang , all you didn't do was kill the cow ! Fantastic . I know what you mean , they don't need anything but you to eat it . You got the buns lookin real good too . Must be all the dog walkin ! Lol .

Thanks Rich! Had to leave the cow alive long enough to get some cheese from it! Thanks for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

That looks phenomenal Ray, nice work. What kind burger press is that, thanks !

Thanks so much! It's a Weston Single Burger Press, works like a charm on the half pounders. The brisket burgers require a bigger bun, so I hand form them. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Now that is a gorgeous burger. And a proper beer to go with it. Jim

Thanks Jim! Rolling Rock has been served here exclusively for over 30 years now, goes with everything, including whisky! Thanks for the Like Jim, I appreciate it. RAY

Right on man! :emoji_thumbsup: Your efforts shall feed you good for a while.

Thank you! It's the same when I make sausage, I like to make big batches worth all the cleanup. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Everything looked great as I was scrolling at a steady rate throught he pictures.
Then... Baaaaconnnn 😍 That messed up my scrolling - lol

Thanks Eddie! Bacon is what makes the burger on a flattop, cooked up in all that beautiful grease, it's a wonderful thing! Thanks for the Like Eddie, much appreciated. RAY

Good looking burgers Ray and to compliment them with homemade rolls. Makes me hungry for a burger. I'm going to have to learn how to bake the rolls . Great job.

Rob

That's some nice work Ray, those burgers look excellent! So does the beer, it used to be made in my neck of the woods.

Nice! Looks like you're set for a while. Haven't seen prices like that around here for a long time....

Thanks Mose! I had to wait a few months for those prices to roll back around, I only do the work when it's cost effective. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Yes sir I'm in line for plate ! Look great RAY

Thank you! Got another lined up for dinner tonight, bring you own plate! Going to go with homemade Canadian bacon and a fried egg on this one, saw one on TV and thought I'd gice it a shot. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Good looking burgers Ray and to compliment them with homemade rolls. Makes me hungry for a burger. I'm going to have to learn how to bake the rolls . Great job. Rob

Thanks Rob! Here's a bun post from awhile back, it was kind of a work in progress. There were a couple of key contributions from chopsaw chopsaw and forktender forktender that were instrumental to the evolution, the end product is pretty darned good these days. Thank you for the Like Rob, I do appreciate it. RAY

Burger Buns | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Reactions: robrpb
That's some nice work Ray, those burgers look excellent! So does the beer, it used to be made in my neck of the woods.

Thanks Denny! I'd imagine Latrobe is more famous for being the birthplace of Arnold Palmer than for brewing RR, tho both are pretty special in my book. Thanks for the Like Denny, much appreciated! RAY

Just awesome start to finish! Love a good thick burger so 3/4 lbs is the ticket. Caramelized onion, bacon and cheese is my favorite toppings for a burger. Nailed it!

Holy Cow Ray!!! Them there are some good looking burgers.

Point for sure
Chris

Damn nice burger Ray! I wouldn’t want a salad on top of mine with that kind of meat on it. Very nice!

Wow! That looks amazing! A lot of work for an amazing payoff, and baking your own buns? That is definitely a different level !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky