Burger Press Recommendation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Thought I'd see if anyone here has a favorite or recommended burger press? I absolutely love burgers, love making them - and nothing beats a fresh burger with a couple of good spices mixed in to the meat. But I hate forming the patties. I always use a scale to weigh out the portions, so all good there, but I don't feel like I do a good job getting a uniform size and thickness on each patty. It's also tedious as hell when making burgers for a larger group.

Having a company pool party this weekend and making burgers for ~15-20, so I picked up a Cuisinart CABP-320 and will be trying that Saturday morning. It's well reviewed on amazon and only $15, so figured it was worth the purchase. I saw a couple of other options that I might like more, but weren't available in time. I am definitely open to buying a better option if there's a good recommendation out there.

I am with you on the fact that it's a pain in the butt making patties especially for a large group. The one thing i watch for though with a Patty Die, compressing the meat to much. I'm sure you already know that a juicy burger is lightly packed so the rendering fat has nooks and crannies to flow into. When i use a die, I still pack it by hand so as not to over compress my meat. It doesn't seem to save me time but atleast the size is consistent.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I have this one and I do use it from time to time. I does make nice uniform burgers. My only complaint is the diameter is slightly too small for my liking. You must use patty papers; it will stick. Amazon.com: Weston Burger Express Hamburger Press With Patty Ejector , Makes 4 1/2" Patties, 1/4Lb To 3/4Lb: Kitchen & Dining

My best suggestions:
1. Buy the patty papers. Just like the restaurants use. Sure you can use wax paper from a roll or such, but You wont believe how handy and useful they are. They are cheap in bulk and you will use them if you have them. Hamburger Patty Paper Archives - Vacuum Sealers Unlimited
2. Without having to mess with a patty press, you can easily and much more quickly take the bottom of a dinner plate and press a ball of meat down on the kitchen counter between 2 patty papers. Look at the bottom rim of your plates where it sits flat on the table with. That will become the diameter of your patties. Press untill you get the thickness you want. Just don't press any harder or else change the size of your meat ball to start with if they extrude beyond the rim. Much faster and easy!

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I was looking at the Weston press - probably would have purchased it if it would have arrived on time.

I did buy the patty papers. I normally use wax paper and manually rip/cut it into squares, but figured the convenience was worth a few bucks.

I don’t know what the brand name is, but it is all metal & adjustable for thickness. I also got a box of wax paper squares. My friends wife gave it to me when my buddy died. It really works awesome. I use it for burgers, and breakfast sausage patties.
7205F6CD-7BC0-4C7A-A430-5635E190A8CD.jpeg

Reactions: mcokevin
Without having to mess with a patty press, you can easily and much more quickly take a dinner plate and press a ball of meat down on the kitchen counter between 2 patty papers. Look at the bottom rim of your plates where it sits flat on the table with. That will become the diameter of your patties. Press untill you get the thickness you want. Just don't press any harder or else change the size of your meat ball to start with if they extrude beyond the rim. Much faster and easy!

Been doing this for years! But I use a Salad Plate to press 6 ounce Burgers. It's fast and with not very much practice, Muscle Memory kicks in and the patties obtain a uniform size and shape...JJ

Been doing this for years! But I use a Salad Plate to press 6 ounce Burgers. It's fast and with not very much practice, Muscle Memory kicks in and the patties obtain a uniform size and shape...JJ

Exactly. Not all dinner or salad plates are made equal! I have a certain plate that has a little deeper bottom rim and is the perfect diameter I like for patties. One doesn't normally pay attention the those kinds of details on the construction of their dinnerware. Just have to look at what you have or pick up one you find you like at the thrift store.

This reminds me of where I learned this. It must be an old-school diners secret? My first real job I had in the early 80's was at the Dexter Lake Club. If you have ever seen the famous movie Animal House, it was featured. I was a bus boy and dishwasher, but also did a lot of prep work including making a whole lot of patties with a plate like this.

It must be an old-school diners secret

LOL! I was taught this trick by an old Egyptian Line Cook in the Diner I worked fresh out of Culinary School! And YES, I use the SAME Salad Plate every time because it gives the desired result...JJ

Reactions: browneyesvictim
OK, seems like the LEM / Weston adjustable style are the clear winners. Think I will pick one up if I am less than 100% satisfied with the one arriving today!

Exactly. Not all dinner or salad plates are made equal! I have a certain plate that has a little deeper bottom rim and is the perfect diameter I like for patties. One doesn't normally pay attention the those kinds of details on the construction of their dinnerware. Just have to look at what you have or pick up one you find you like at the thrift store.

This reminds me of where I learned this. It must be an old-school diners secret? My first real job I had in the early 80's was at the Dexter Lake Club. If you have ever seen the famous movie Animal House, it was featured. I was a bus boy and dishwasher, but also did a lot of prep work including making a whole lot of patties with a plate like this.
Dang, now I'm gonna have to watch Animal House! I haven't seen that in years!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: PPG1
I am with you on the fact that it's a pain in the butt making patties especially for a large group. The one thing i watch for though with a Patty Die, compressing the meat to much. I'm sure you already know that a juicy burger is lightly packed so the rendering fat has nooks and crannies to flow into. When i use a die, I still pack it by hand so as not to over compress my meat. It doesn't seem to save me time but atleast the size is consistent.

Now here's an idea.... someone could attach a force meter to the burger press and figure out the "ideal" amount of force to form the patty so you get the perfect result every time!

I don’t know what the brand name is, but it is all metal & adjustable for thickness. I also got a box of wax paper squares. My friends wife gave it to me when my buddy died. It really works awesome. I use it for burgers, and breakfast sausage patties.

That is a bummer about your buddy - but nice to think of him each time you use the press. Good idea on the breakfast sausage patties. My dad makes a killer breakfast sandwich, and a homemade breakfast sausage would really up it!

Multi-Task Alert:

I form a loose ball (1/4 to 1/3lb) of ground meat on some wax paper.
xPebDMQ.jpg
Then fold the paper over
VlRta5r.jpg
Then using the lid from a large jar of peanuts, I press a burger
MQw6NWP.jpg
dafnKZb.jpg
For making breakfast sausage patties or sliders, you might have to use a lid from a jar of peanut butter or mayonnaise.

Dang, now I'm gonna have to watch Animal House! I haven't seen that in years!

Ryan
A classic for sure! Otis Day and the Knights don't play there anymore but they do still have live bands!
As coincidence would have it, Dexter Lake Club now serves Texas style BBQ. They have a large stick burning offset in the back. Probably the best restaurant BBQ I have had from anywhere around here.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
A similar way to thirdeye thirdeye is how i make smash burgers; I have an induction stove that I'm afraid to do a real midwest smash&smear.

onionsmash2.jpg

Just throw a couple oz between a folded strip of parchment; use your hand, a plate, or rolling pin; and slap it directly on the griddle. These had onions, which on an unrelated note will cause more swelling and is hard to get that lacy edge.

onion3.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky