Built A New Transformer Cart & Hybrid Santa Maria Grill (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A while back I built a cart for a hybrid Santa Maria grill and to store the griddle on the bottom, as well as having a pull out work table. It was a good concept but not fully thought out before building it. Turned out that getting the griddle off the bottom shelf to use it then putting it back when finished was a bit of a pain. Standing in the pool one day I realized how much space I had between the bottom of the cart and the pull out shelf and added another roll out tray for the griddle. Better but stull not efficient. The way I had to set it up, I wasn't able to use the pull out work table when using the griddle and the griddle was down pretty low thus not easy to cook on. Decided to build a new cart from the beginning to have the griddle accessible as well as the work table and get the griddle up higher for ease of access. This cart is 2" taller than the last one and with the griddle above the work table, it's a total of about 6" higher, which makes a huge difference. The new hybrid SM I built is a similar concept but different application. Took a few minutes to figure out how to make it work, but it works like a dream.

Not a lot of build pics but here is the cooking grate for the grill. This one is considerably larger than the last one.
20220930_154705.jpg

Notice the two 1/2" steel dowels at the rear of the grate.
20220930_154715.jpg

The vertical towers to hold the cooking grate. This took a bit of time to lay out and cut all the notches. They all needed to be perfect or it wasn't gonna work.
20220930_154723.jpg

20220930_154730.jpg
+

Cooking grate in place. This was a concern whether or not it'd take the weight and stay in place.
20220930_154754.jpg

The cart all assembled and checking to see if everything works before prep and paint.
20220930_154801.jpg

20220930_154806.jpg

20220930_154832.jpg

20220930_154845.jpg

20220930_154853.jpg

Prepped, painted, and out to the patio.
20221016_144451.jpg

20221016_144458.jpg

20221016_144507.jpg

20221016_144524.jpg

20221016_144534.jpg

20221016_144537.jpg

This worked out great. It affords me so much usability and only takes up a small amount of space on the patio. As noted, this grill is a bit larger than the last one. The cart needed to be wider across the front to make enough space for the griddle so decided to use the space for a larger grill. I'm loving this thing!! Used the griddle a few times and that 6" higher makes a tremendous difference when cooking. The grill is just awesome being able to handle steaks for a larger crown but still not be overly huge and waste a ton of charcoal if I'm only cooking a couple steaks. Done burgers a couple times on it and it's Tracy's favorite way to do them now. You just get a flavor from charcoal that you don't get with propane and there's something primal about cooking like this over an open grill. My first cook on the grill was for a friend who came over for NY Strips the weekend after I finished building it. They were fantastic. Posted a thread on that cook and here is the link if anybody wants to see the grill in action:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-friend-asked-for-a-ny-strip-pics.317659/

Oh well, my first post in a long time and it doesn't even relate to food....but it was a fun project that worked out well so figured I'd share. Y'all take care....

Robert

A well thought out and executed piece of work Robert, perfect on the steak cook too, well done! RAY

Excellent metal working skills Robert. Well thought-out re-design definitely looks more user friendly.

You have some skills Robert!
That is a fantastic build!
I don’t know where you get the time to do all these projects.
Al

I see the company banner coming …… TX Smokers and Grills. Beautiful work. You have cranked out some really nice builds.

Very Nice Robert! You are getting good at fabing and welding!!
Thanks so much Keith. It's been a fun hobby and somewhat of an evolution figuring out how to make certain things work using steel. I've been a wood worker all my life so this is a bit different.

Robert

A well thought out and executed piece of work Robert, perfect on the steak cook too, well done!
Very much appreciate it my friend. I just wish I'd thought it all the way through the first time and saved myself a lot of time and work. It all came out well in the end though.

Robert

Excellent metal working skills Robert. Well thought-out re-design definitely looks more user friendly.
Thank you Matt. It is definitely more user friendly and will get used considerably more than the last one.

Robert

You have skillz !! Looks awesome.
Thanks Mike but actually I just have a little bit of patience and some decent tools. Couple those with a little creativity and I've managed a few decent builds.

Robert

Looks like it was well thought out and executed. Nice job Robert. I think that boat was asking to be took out.
Thanks so much Brian, and believe me, we wish the boat had been used more this past Summer. Only got out twice at the beginning of the season. We are in such a horrible drought there's no water in the lake. Very dangerous trying to get out and not being able to see the boulders and sand bars laying 6" below the surface :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Very impressive work Robert.
Point for sure
Chris

Now that is something to be very proud of Robert
Thanks Steve. So far it's been a fun little toy and yes, there's a certain feeling of accomplishment cooking on a grill that I fabricated. The design on this one was a challenge though to make sure it all worked.

Robert

You have some skills Robert!
That is a fantastic build!
I don’t know where you get the time to do all these projects.
Thank you Al. These projects take quite a bit of time. I only get an hour or two here and there in the afternoons and on weekends so it can be a drawn-out process getting them built. Things look like they are starting to level off with work though so hopefully I'll have more time available.

Robert

I see the company banner coming …… TX Smokers and Grills. Beautiful work. You have cranked out some really nice builds.
Thanks so much Jeff, but we've been through this already buddy :emoji_wink: There will be no banners, no taking orders, and no for-profit builds. It's a personal hobby and I have no intention of it turning into a job. Don't want the work and don't have the skills or equipment to do it professionally. It's a ton of fun on a personal basis though.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky