Buffalo Wild Wings sauces on ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybrslydr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 18, 2017
Douglas, WY
I was thinking about this and figured I'd ask the experts - anyone tried one or more of Bdubs wing sauces on some ribs?

I'm thinking the Caribbean Jerk, Asian Zing or Honey BBQ would taste good.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a lot of different sauces on ribs, usually doctoring them up a tad. Honey BBQ works great, as does just about any Asian sauce. Mixing up sauces keeps the burnt out taste buds at bay.

I typically stick with whatever makes my wife happy, but I like the idea of wing sauce on ribs. I think I'll give that a try next time she's travelling on business. Would probably add a little brown sugar or honey. Hmmm.....

Never tried it buffalo on ribs, but I do think it would be good and well any of the sauces you have listed would be good....just my 2 cents.

brett...i personally like hickory or oak...preference hickory.

Man go for it and when you start sweating to much just drink another cold one. :D Can't see anything wrong with trying it I mostly use apple on pork in fact its my go to wood most of the time.

Warren

Reactions: cybrslydr
You know what I think that is a fantastic idea. You could smoke the ribs naked, then cut them up & toss them in a mixture of Franks hot wing sauce & melted butter. I have a few racks of ribs in the freezer & I'm going to give this a try!
I love hot wings & I love ribs, so how can this be bad!!! I just told Judy I'm doing it this weekend!! I have to say you guys come up with some really good ideas!!. Well I guess I'll see how good this one is, but I have a lot of confidence that it will be good!! I will certainly let you guys know how they turn out, good or bad!
Al

Reactions: crazymoon
For sure Al its a great idea as I just mention to Al in another thread its so great here on SMF to see all the ideas members come up with. Ever changing the recipes and the taste of the food we all so much enjoy.

Warren

Currently waiting for a butcher up in Columbus to get back to me on price for some ribs.

Idea is to smoke them on the grill for a few hours and then baste them in the sauce for the last 45 or so. Most likely use some apple wood and Royal Oak charcoal stuff on the Weber.

You know what I think that is a fantastic idea. You could smoke the ribs naked, then cut them up & toss them in a mixture of Franks hot wing sauce & melted butter. I have a few racks of ribs in the freezer & I'm going to give this a try!
I love hot wings & I love ribs, so how can this be bad!!! I just told Judy I'm doing it this weekend!! I have to say you guys come up with some really good ideas!!. Well I guess I'll see how good this one is, but I have a lot of confidence that it will be good!! I will certainly let you guys know how they turn out, good or bad!
Al
Al I've done the classic Frank's and Butter sauce on ribs, it's freaking fantastic.
You're going to love it.

Now the Jerk seasoning is one I've never thought about on ribs, which is strange cause I've done it on chops and loin.
I gotta try that, I think some oak would go good with Jamaican Jerk.

Would you folks think this would be better with or without a rub? The sauces are pretty potent themselves and I'd think it'd be difficult to find a rub that's complimentary to that.

Would you folks think this would be better with or without a rub? The sauces are pretty potent themselves and I'd think it'd be difficult to find a rub that's complimentary to that.
When I did Frank's I went light on my normal pork rub, just a dusting.
I would adjust my rub to match or compliment the sauce flavor.

With or with out would be a personal preference if you use the hot wing sauce like I would you would not even notice any rub.

Warren

It was just talked about on here a week ago there is a Franks Red Hot seasoning. You can get it on Amazon.

I like vinegary mustard sauces like Carolina Gold, or Honey Mustard, but Buffalo flavor is one that just never grew a taste for. But surely this would be a winner for those who do.

I gotta disagree, some sauces and rubs can be quite conflicting.
Especially if you were to use a mildly flavored or sweet sauce, e.g. Parmesan Garlic or Bourbon Molasses, pair either with a spicy rub and it'll show through.

Plus there is the texture of rib's light bark we generally associate with them, dry rubbed or glazed, we're used to a bark.

I think that like the recent Korean BBQ experiment, someone's gonna have to take one for the team

I gotta disagree, some sauces and rubs can be quite conflicting.
Especially if you were to use a mildly flavored or sweet sauce, e.g. Parmesan Garlic or Bourbon Molasses, pair either with a spicy rub and it'll show through.

Plus there is the texture of rib's light bark we generally associate with them, dry rubbed or glazed, we're used to a bark.

I think that like the recent Korean BBQ experiment, someone's gonna have to take one for the team

Well, I'm going to do the ribs this weekend, that's not up for debate. lol Whether or not I'll use a rub for something like a Caribbean Jerk is a different story.

As spicy as Caribbean Jerk sauce is, I think the rub would need to be heavy on the brown sugar and sweet.

Never tried it buffalo on ribs, but I do think it would be good and well any of the sauces you have listed would be good....just my 2 cents.

brett...i personally like hickory or oak...preference hickory.

Yeah, hickory is my standard but go with other wood some times. I have just recently started using some oak and so far had good results. I wonder how either would go with the BWW Parmesan garlic sauce though of if a milder wood would complement it better.

You guys have any links to a sweet (flavor) rub I could try on these with the Jerk sauce?

Buy a jar of dry Jerk Seasoning or make your own.
Taste it and add brown sugar if you think it needs it.
Smoke'em up and sauce them at the end.

Jerk Seasoning
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg (grated)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky