Brisket sticking to butcher paper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin Haynes

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Does anyone have any tips or preventative maintenance info on how to keep my butcher paper from sticking to my brisket top and ripping off my purdy bark I have formed? Anyone else have this problem?....I pull my butcher paper wrapped brisket after it is finished and then wrap in a towel and place in a cooler for an hour ...anything I should or shouldn't be doing? Thanks guys!

The pink paper that I bought off Amazon doesn't stick.

I thought it had a shiny side but I just checked, no coating.

Last edited:
I don't think the waxed paper is the go to most folks want, is the briskets bare of fat? sugars are sticking and a lite shot of pam might be the best way to stop it imo. so many ? and so little time to test lol

Does anyone have any tips or preventative maintenance info on how to keep my butcher paper from sticking to my brisket top and ripping off my purdy bark I have formed? Anyone else have this problem?....I pull my butcher paper wrapped brisket after it is finished and then wrap in a towel and place in a cooler for an hour ...anything I should or shouldn't be doing? Thanks guys!

Which paper are you using ?? Is this the one ??

upload_2019-9-12_5-41-41.png

Yep.. that's the stuff to use... When I use it, I wrap the meat before it gets to the stall... After a bit, the paper is soaked with fat.. It couldn't stick to hot gum, on the sidewalk, in August...
Sooo, I have no idea why your paper is sticking...

Yep.. that's the stuff to use... When I use it, I wrap the meat before it gets to the stall... After a bit, the paper is soaked with fat.. It couldn't stick to hot gum, on the sidewalk, in August...
Sooo, I have no idea why your paper is sticking...
I have no idea....I'm thinking the brisket is obviously hot when I pull it finished at 205 or so and then wrap the wrapped brisket in the towel and then in a cooler may just be getting it super super hot

If the paper is dry after the cook and before you wrap it in towels etc., try spraying it with Pam or rub lard on it, or something so it won't stick... MAYBE...

Sounds like I'm using the same paper as Kevin. Pink butcher paper purchased through Amazon. It's just plane pink butcher paper. I've used it twice on brisket - first time was the hot/fast method and I just figured the high temps allowed the paper to stick to the burnt fat & meat on the bottom of the brisket. 2nd time was a low & slow and I wrapped the brisket due to a mega-stall I encountered. Still I had to pull the brisket & paper apart in spots on the bottom side. Both times there was plenty of grease inside the paper - it was soaked on the bottom each time and I cook fat cap down. Didn't affect the meat, flavor, or overall quality of the brisket it was just unexpected and it happened 2 times? Maybe a shot of Pam is the answer?

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
I would just not use the paper. my last brisket I did straight though and it was killer. smoked at 180 for 4 hours then 300 till done. no muss no fuss

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky