Brisket slicing knife reccomendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
I have always wanted to get a somewhat decent brisket knife. You guys know which one I'm talking about right? 11 to 12 inches with the rounded nose and a good hollow grind.

I love damascus but hate damascus prices if you catch my drift...lol

Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations for me?

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Something like this?
FIua3Xt.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw and Ringer
Ringer Ringer here is where all the recommendations might go out the window. I sharpen knives on a hobby level for a few friends, including some Chefs. One of which is a CIA grad from the mid-70's. He still has his original knife roll and to say it's well used is an understatement. He claims selecting a knife is all about balance and hand-feel. So for him, an expensive knife does not mean it's a better knife.
fCNYoxW.jpg

Ringer Ringer here is where all the recommendations might go out the window. I sharpen knives on a hobby level for a few friends, including some Chefs. One of which is a CIA grad from the mid-70's. He still has his original knife roll and to say it's well used is an understatement. He claims selecting a knife is all about balance and hand-feel. So for him, an expensive knife does not mean it's a better knife.
View attachment 514338
That's impressive!

I don't mind investing in something that will hold a good edge

Mercer, Victorinox, Dexter/Russell all good options below $100. Keep the Sheath on and reserve the Knife for Slicing only. You will be set...JJ

Here is what I ended up going with. 12 inch kessaku samurai with a Granton edge.

Attachments

• 20211110_125243.jpg
    20211110_125243.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 58
YTou can have any blade you want, damascus, stainless, serated, whatever..... What is important is how long it is! Of course it needs to be sharp. But long balades will be sharpo ones. Personally I prefer scimatars But they are long and sharp.

Below is what I like to use for Brisket Slicing. Thats an 18" and a 12 " steel. And that scimatar is now in its third generation of my families use. First was my great uncle who was a butcher.

006.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky