Brisket Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GetSmokedMN

Original poster
Mar 28, 2018
Southern Minnesota
Looks like tomorrows forecast here is calling for rain all day so instead of planting food plots for the deer, I decided I'm gonna try my first brisket. Just wondering if anyone out there has any input on a rub for it? I've read to just do a simple 50/50 salt and pepper rub but I've also seen people putting other stuff on there too. I have plenty of my pork rub to use but I would assume I would want to use something different on beef. Thanks for the help!

I have used different rubs and they all gave good results but I have switched to using only Salt and Pepper on my Briskets. I have found this gives me the best results and my family likes it much better. Lets the Beef flavor shine.

So my vote is just salt and pepper.
Link

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
I been coming up with my own, with different variations pretty much sticking with an 8:3:1:1 ratio
never seems to go wrong.

8 parts brown sugar
3 parts salt (amount varies depending on type of salt & size of crystals, less for fine ground table salt)
1 part spices (garlic powder, black pepper, etc)
1 part leafy green spice (basil, parsley. etc)

Only problem I'm trying to beat is clumping of the brown sugar while rub is in storage.

Looked it up, regarding the salt, my research is as follows

1 cup table salt = 2 cups Diamond Crystal kosher salt
1 cup table salt = 1 1/2 cups Morton Kosher salt

measuring as follows to fractionalize
48 tsp in a cup
16 tbsp in a cup
& 3 tsp in tbsp

there are 13 total parts, 3/13 should be salt or ~23% of the total mixture

I been coming up with my own, with different variations pretty much sticking with an 8:3:1:1 ratio
never seems to go wrong.

8 parts brown sugar
3 parts salt (amount varies depending on type of salt & size of crystals, less for fine ground table salt)
1 part spices (garlic powder, black pepper, etc)
1 part leafy green spice (basil, parsley. etc)

Only problem I'm trying to beat is clumping of the brown sugar while rub is in storage.[/QUOTE]

Spread the BSugar on a cookie sheet. 15 minutes at 200°F, cool and crumble between your hands and no clumping in the rub...JJ

Reactions: databox
To stop your rubs from clumping use Brownulated ,keep it as long as you want without clumps

Looks like tomorrows forecast here is calling for rain all day so instead of planting food plots for the deer, I decided I'm gonna try my first brisket. Just wondering if anyone out there has any input on a rub for it? I've read to just do a simple 50/50 salt and pepper rub but I've also seen people putting other stuff on there too. I have plenty of my pork rub to use but I would assume I would want to use something different on beef. Thanks for the help!

How did the brisky turn out?

When you apply the rub, do you let it sit overnight in the fridge, or just smoke it right away?

When you apply the rub, do you let it sit overnight in the fridge, or just smoke it right away?

That depends on you and your tastes. I rub right before I put whatever on the smoker. Others let it sit and absorb overnight.

Chris

Reactions: ksblazer
I used Montreal Steak for my last two. The first one I used the seasoning right out of the jar. The second time I ground the seasoning in a confer grinder. I preferred the later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky