Brisket Rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

itried

Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Angleton Tx
For the ones that use something other than salt and pepper, what do yall use/recommend? Make your own? Buy someone else's product? I have used cheap fiesta brisket rub and it came out pretty good. Thanks and  Merry Christmas!

Depends on your taste, there are some good rubs out there and some bad ones. I make all my rubs and sauces because I figured out over the years what flavors my wife, kids and grand kids like. Experiment a little on steak hamburger and see what you like then try it on a brisket.

Gary

Jeff, (the site owner) has a pretty good rub to start out with, we have modified it to fit our taste buds better. 

I donated to this site mostly to help with the upkeep, it is the best smoking site on the web, I want to make sure to do my part to help with keeping it up and going, and I removed a lot of the ads..

Rubs are like BBQ sauces, start out with something and experiment to fit your taste buds.

There are two superb brisket rubs out there that I have found if you want to go beyond just salt and pepper. One is from The Spice House called Brisket Of Love. Excellent rub for any beef.

The other is Oak Ridge BBQ's Black Ops rub. You can't go wrong with either.

See,    look at all the different answers you got. First figure out the taste you like and want.  Salty, Sweet, Spicy, Hot etc.

Gary

I use the brisket rub from the Masterbuilt site and really like it.  Use it on everything but want to find a different rub for my pork butt.  I'm wondering what's in Jeff's rub.  Can't have much if any sugar in it since it doesn't do well for my wife.  (if anybody can message me what's in it without measurements, that would help.  If it will work for us I will buy it.)

Here is a link to the Masterbuilt rub.  I cut the cayenne pepper in half since half my family doesn't like too spicy.

http://masterbuilt.com/recipe/dadgum-good-brisket/

Greg

Last edited:
Aaron Franklin uses coarse salt (Morton's Kosher) and coarse ground black pepper in equal proportion and nothing else.

I rub a trimmed brisket with EVOO then sprinkle with a mix of Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder. If I'm out of garlic powder I substitute garlic salt.

HTH

Going to smoke my first brisket today on the MES 30 and debating between Emeril's Texas-Style Smoked Brisket recipe or the Oklahoma Joe's Brisket recipe. Both look very good and balanced.

I used the Black Ops rub this weekend on a brisket.  It was very good.  The only problem was my fault.  I threw on a little cherry chips toward the end and it gave the meat too strong of a smoky flavor.  Not bad, but just too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky