Brisket problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windlaker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Wind Lake, WI
Good morning all,

I smoked a brisket yesterday, and I had something happen that hasn't happened before. I'm not an expert by any means. I've done about 20 or so briskets.

I started my smoke as normal. Point and flat were separated. Fire between 220 and 235 degrees. At 165 degrees, wrapped in pink butcher paper. At 205 degrees, put it in the oven set to 180 degrees.

Here's where I changed things up.

I got last minute tickets to a Brewers game. I set the oven to cook for 4 hours. So from 11:30 until 3:30, it was in the oven at 180. The oven shut off, and the meat sat in the oven (still wrapped in butcher paper) until 6:30. I then sliced the meat.

I did NOT check the internal temperature before slicing.

The flat turned out perfect. Tender, juicy, perfect. The flat was tough as Hell.

I guess my questions are...

What happened?
I have the point sliced. Is there a way to salvage it?
How would it be to chop it, and use it that way?

Thanks in advance.

Windlaker

Brisket chili is SO GOOD!! great option. or a stew would also be good.

Hmm.... did you let it sit open on the counter for 10-15 min in order to stop the cooking prior to placing in the oven? If not, then it continued to cook.

I'd throw it in a pot or a crock pot with some bbq sauce and simmer it a bit and that should do the trick and give you great chopped bbq beef brisket. I'm assuming it is under cooked so the extra cooking with the liquid will do the trick in this case :)

Hmm.... did you let it sit open on the counter for 10-15 min in order to stop the cooking prior to placing in the oven? If not, then it continued to cook.

No I did not. I never have (absolutely not saying I'm an expert here).

I didn't know this was part of the equation.

If it was pulled when probe tender it was done. The deal is that a wrapped brisket moved straight from the smoker into a cooler or holding oven will continue to cook, allowing it to become overcooked. Pulling the brisket and letting it sit open on the counter for 10-15 minutes will stop the cooking process. After that period, it will still be plenty hot to allow the rendering to continue when re-wrapped and resting in either the cooler or oven. The alternate would be to pull it just before it was tender (more difficult to judge) and go right into the oven/cooler and allow it to finish.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky