• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brisket and a turkey Finished, more Q-view

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
I found a 12 lb. brisket at wally world the other day for $1.65/lb. and a turkey for $.68/lb.

This will be my second attempt at brisket, my first was 6lbs and came out pretty good so now I'm going for the bigger meat today! This is going to be my first Turkey also.

6:00 am, getting started with the fire and smoke.

I didn't get before pics of the brisket yesterday when I started separating it and trimming fat but here are the point and flat smothered in Jeff's rub after refrigerating last night:

I trimmed most of the fat off even the cap, I plan on spritzing it often enough, and the last brisket I did I didn't trim it at all and really should have
we'll see how it comes out.

On the UDS with a little hickory.

And just because it was cheap too, I have a 13 lb. turkey I brined yesterday under the brisket.

Wish me luck. I will also do a more detailed what and how on my blog (it's allot of fun and it gets my friends and family looking at my food when I put it on facebook) the link is in my signature please stop by and make some comments if you like.

More pics to come.

Q

sumosmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 29, 2007
Nice day to smoke some goodies. Good luck! You're off to a great start!

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Thats going to be one great meal for this afternoon. Good luck. 

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Turkey is done and wrapped in foil to rest a bit, the brisket is chugging along at about 195 and ready to come off soon

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Well, my first turkey turned out great, moist, brine was just right, pretty tasty bird, the inlaws loved it.

The brisket was very tasty, but it was a little on the dry side, I figured I cut off too much fat. It had a nice smoke ring though.

It was all in all a good eatin' meal

Thanks,

Q

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
go easy on trimming the fat next time.  I find when I pull it after the smoke that the fat just peels off in my hands and I can reduce fat consumption by removing as much or as little as I want.  Keep at it -- it only gets better (and easier)!!!

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Well Laurel (sumosmoke) said you were off to a good start. Well I'm here to say that you finished with quite a bang up job on the meat too.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.