Briquettes vs lump charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife calls that a "man search," where I go for one specific thing but come home with something that's close but not quite right.

RO Briquettes are all I have in my garage these days. Use a base just like you did with Kingsford, but use half as many hot ones to start your fire, unless you're planning hot n fast.

Reactions: JC in GB
I just made some Top Round London Broil on the Kettle. Ran out of Kingsford Original so threw a 4" Oak Split, I think it was Oak, we pulled it from my Wood Stove supply, on the burning charcoal. Best Smokey flavored Beef and fierce heat to sear the meat. I'll be going this route again...JJ

I'm about 2 hours into the smoke, and I seem to have hit the stall at 167f. Going to spritz for the last time then wrap. I'll post pictures later...!

(edit to correct typo. 2 hours, not 23!)

Last edited:
Briquettes are dirty in my opinion. If you've ever built a charcoal forge and used them you'll know. That crap gets everywhere. Whole lump all the way. Also this video is as good as gold

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky