Brining Pork Chops?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I dry brine them just like steaks. Liberally salt both sides and let sit in fridge for 1/4 hour per 1/4" of thickness.

Gonna try a dry rub first. Ive got a couple thicker chops thawing for tomorrow.

Here is the dry rub:
1.5 tablespoons light brown sugar
0.5 tablespoon kosher salt* (reduce by half if using fine or table salt)
0.5 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pounds thick cut 1 - 1-1/2-inches pork loin chops
0.5 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Sounds good . I use a Canadian steak seasoning , and hold over night , no oil . Gives it time to transfer the inside to the surface and back in again .
I always just sprinkle it on about like this .
1658007645408.jpeg

Your's are gonna be good . Watching .

Reactions: sandyut
Gonna try a dry rub first. Ive got a couple thicker chops thawing for tomorrow. the two weigh in at 2lb. Not 4 as the recipe states. Might need to go lighter on the rub...I'll what it looks like tomorrow and make a game day decision.

Here is the dry rub:
1.5 tablespoons light brown sugar
0.5 tablespoon kosher salt* (reduce by half if using fine or table salt)
0.5 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pounds thick cut 1 - 1-1/2-inches pork loin chops, about 4 bone-in or 6 boneless
0.5 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
So, is there a 4 hour brine step first?

So, is there a 4 hour brine step first?
Its a dry rub. Just the rub and time. Recipe says 15 min at room temp or up to 24 hours in refer. Ill get these rubbing in the AM and grill in the PM. 8-12 hours.

Ill get these rubbing in the AM and grill in the PM. 8-12 hours.
Solid plan in my opinion . I smoked the loin chops I did , so that's why no oil .
Grilling I use oil . You're all over it , I know it's not your first time too . Still watching .

As a result of this thread I pulled a mixed-cut/thin-cut family pak of bone-in pork chops out of the freezer last Monday. I was going to thaw them, wet brine overnight, then roast in the Kettle. Unfortunately, circumstances got in the way of my plans and that all went out the window.

I partially thawed them in cold water, then finished the thaw in the MW, hit 'em on both sides with garlic salt and a light dusting of meat tenderizer. Dry brined in the fridge for only an hour and 15 minutes. Into the oven on a raised rack for 20-35 minutes at 375°F (some were still partially frozen and took a little longer). Temp'd each for 145°F internal temp.

I was concerned they'd be dry after such a short dry brine. They weren't pretty, but she commented how juicy and tender they were after such a quick prep. I put that result in my back pocket for the next time I need a fast pork dinner.

For thicker chops. I'm not ashamed to admit that I like shake-n-bake. I'll fire up the kettle/Vortex and cook the chops till they hit 138*. Pull them off the kettle and let the residual heat bring them up to 145*. They come out juicy and have a nice crispy flavorful coating.

Chris

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like shake-n-bake.
I'll do the " bottom of the bag " chips .
Ground or crushed up cheez its , Jalapeno crunchers or what ever's left behind . BBQ potato chips work good .
I'm with ya though , I like shake n bake too .

Reactions: gmc2003
Here's a great alternative to Shake n Bake. Buy a cheap store-brand of StoveTop stuffing mix. I can pick up a box for about $1. Toss the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times to mix the seasonings and break down the bread crumbs.

Into a bag with the meat, shake, bake. Dipping the meat in an egg wash before the shake is optional, but you night need more boxes of stuffing.

Reactions: tbern and gmc2003
Have to admit, I did love it as a kid on pork chops and chicken thighs/drums. Probably still would if I can abstain from reading the ingredient list. But these days perhaps there are less ingredients you can’t pronounce?

And I always helped 😁

Here's a great alternative to Shake n Bake. Buy a cheap store-brand of StoveTop stuffing mix. I can pick up a box for about $1. Toss the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times to mix the seasonings and break down the bread crumbs.

Into a bag with the meat, shake, bake. Dipping the meat in an egg wash before the shake is optional, but you night need more boxes of stuffing.
You can also use stuffing mix (or buy a bag of mixed croutons) and a raw egg as an adder for meat balls or even meatloaf. Panko is still my favorite, but crushed croutons does add some neat flavors.

nice idea!

Reactions: noboundaries
OMG! these were the best pork cops I ever ate. Dry brining is magic! Nothing short. Juicy savory perfection. Plated with a classic three bean salad with a minimal sugar dressing - very savory and delish, Highly recommend a run at these. Doing them again real soon. Wife is still gone so this was dinner for one. she will flip over these!

IMG_8338.jpg
IMG_8341.jpg
IMG_8345.jpg
IMG_8346.jpg
IMG_8347.jpg

I have a few chops in the freezer. I have never smoked a pork shop - thinking they would dry out and be tough. But then then I thought about the brining option..

Anyone wet or dry brine pork chops? If so can you pass on the recipe and how they come out?

Thanks! Dave
Check out the post I just made about the chops done with Traeger marinade for smoked pork tenderloins. Worked just as well for chops. Marinaded for 24 hours and grilled them. Incredibly juicy and sweet. Almost as good as a steak…almost 🤣

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky