Brining a small, 3 lb pork shoulder roast for ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dotyville

Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
Good morning!
Since there is only two of us when choosing a cut for ham I go small. My first attempt worked out well. It was a slightly smaller picnic which I brined for 7 days and then smoked at 180 for an internal temp of 150. I'm now reading I over brined it. My question is this. Is anything over two three days worth it? Also because I didn't write it down my smoking temp was either 180 or 225. Can't remember. Also how important does anyone feel leaving it in the fridge for a day to dry before smoking is? I've read it both ways; smoking dry and same day smoking. Thanks all for the input!

What brine did you use, how thick was the cut of meat, most people here will put in fridge over night unwrapped to dry it or put in front of a fan an hour or two, or dry it in smoker before adding smoke.

I'm now reading I over brined it. My question is this. Is anything over two three days worth it?
2 or 3 days of brining is appropriate cure time for a piece of meat ~1.5" thick. That seems extremely short for even half a pork butt. Overbrined would be something you could taste if you just did a standard brine like Pop's- saltiness.
I am an ardent supporter of EQ Brining, you leave it cure for a minimum time based on thickness, and going over isn't a big deal either, it never gets too salty.
Drying a little before smoking helps the meat take in smoke rather than it depositing on the surface.

You could slice A piece off and fry it before smoking, if it's to salty soak it in water for a couple hours and fry another piece and repeat if necessary.

I'm now reading I over brined it.
Where are you reading that ?

Is anything over two three days worth it?
If you want ham , yes . 3 Days is not long enough for whole muscle meat .

Post want brine you are using with the breakdown of the amounts of ingredients . I don't believe you will get a salty result from a long soak in Pop's brine . It's about the easiest and most forgiving way you can cure something .
I use the phosphate injection method , and hold in a 36 degree fridge 10 to 14 days . Dry uncovered overnight before smoking .

Where are you reading that ?

If you want ham , yes . 3 Days is not long enough for whole muscle meat .

Post want brine you are using with the breakdown of the amounts of ingredients . I don't believe you will get a salty result from a long soak in Pop's brine . It's about the easiest and most forgiving way you can cure something .
I use the phosphate injection method , and hold in a 36 degree fridge 10 to 14 days . Dry uncovered overnight before smoking .
Should've read "thinking" I used 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar and I believe 1 tbsp pink salt. I also injected some of the brine.

When I wet cure I use Pop's brine at the rate of 1/2 cup salt , 1/2 cup brown sugar ,
1/2 cup white sugar and 1 Tablespoon cure #1 to one gallon of water .
If I was doing a 3 lb. hunk of pork for ham I would use that mix , inject the meat from the bulk mix and soak at least 10 days held in a 36 degree fridge with a thermometer in it so I know what the actual temp is . I don't go by the dial on the unit .

If that was in a gallon of water and injected I think you are OK but I admit I never rush it and go a week. IIRC Pops went
"a few days". The kosher salt is the equivalent of 1/2C table salt and injecting speeds up the cure rapidly.

It's common for long soak times with Pop's brine .
Here's a couple threads to look at if you haven't already .

Note where he says longer time with less cure .

This applies to Pop's brine . So keep that in mind .

Reactions: zwiller
It appears I am in error. Pops "few days" was based on turkey which is much less thicker than a ham. Motion carried... More time.

Well I wouldn't say that , and didn't take it that way . I just know from reading and re-reading that he let things go 30 days or more , and have read the few days comment from him .

It appears I am in error. Pops "few days" was based on turkey which is much less thicker than a ham. Motion carried... More time.
Poultry meat will get mushy if left in the brine more than a couple three days. That’s the reason for such a short sit for them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky