Bring out your tongs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
So if you happened to read my post about grill some lamb chops last night, you know that I am sporting some medium rare knuckles this AM and have decided now that I am playing with fire I need better tools.

My short silicon tipped tongs work great on my portable smoke hollow for the RV and my Champ Chef Griddle and grill, but not some much for a rip roaring lump charcoal fire.

The silicone tends to be slippery and at times can make it hard to grip the food, the Lamb chops last night put up a heck of a fight and made it hard to get 45 degree turns for grill marks. They definitely weren't long enough to keep my knuckles from cooking either.

So what ya got, show me your favorite tongs for the smoker/grill. While at it, I also discovered I need a tool for bunching up the charcoal in the maze, when I need to reload, and spreading it out, after pulling the maze and switch the All-start into grill mode. I used my teppanyaki spatula from my griddle last night, which also didn't do my knuckles any favors. So show me all your cool tongs and other tools you use to play with fire.

Get yourself a meat hook , I could not be without one , for whole muscle meats .
20180813_101718.jpg
I have a long pair of SS tongs for sausage .

I need a tool for bunching up the charcoal in the maze, when I need to reload, and spreading it out,

I didn't go out to take a picture , but one of the most useful things I use is something I made . A metal garden trowel , cut the handle off and attached it to 3 feet of 1/2 " conduit .

So if you happened to read my post about grill some lamb chops last night, you know that I am sporting some medium rare knuckles this AM and have decided now that I am playing with fire I need better tools.

My short silicon tipped tongs work great on my portable smoke hollow for the RV and my Champ Chef Griddle and grill, but not some much for a rip roaring lump charcoal fire.

The silicone tends to be slippery and at times can make it hard to grip the food, the Lamb chops last night put up a heck of a fight and made it hard to get 45 degree turns for grill marks. They definitely weren't long enough to keep my knuckles from cooking either.

So what ya got, show me your favorite tongs for the smoker/grill. While at it, I also discovered I need a tool for bunching up the charcoal in the maze, when I need to reload, and spreading it out, after pulling the maze and switch the All-start into grill mode. I used my teppanyaki spatula from my griddle last night, which also didn't do my knuckles any favors. So show me all your cool tongs and other tools you use to play with fire.
I bought just the tongs that are like this one at Walmart. They are sturdy and certainly long enough for a typical grill situation. I did not however buy the set with the brush. I just walked in to the garden area and found them on the rack. The thing I like best is how solid they feel. No flimsy hinges on this puppy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BBQ-Mast...ongs-and-Silicone-Basting-Brush-Set/737515673

George

Reactions: greatfx1959
Chopsaw, I have seen the meat hooks but never used one, I always thought of them as more of a "rough tool" than a finesse tool, do you find that you can do things like rotate chops 45 degrees with them, or would you use your tongs for that?

Your trowel sounds handy.

Chopsaw, I have seen the meat hooks but never used one, I always thought of them as more of a "rough tool" than a finesse tool, do you find that you can do things like rotate chops 45 degrees with them, or would you use your tongs for that?

Your trowel sounds handy.
Pete , that hook works great . That one has a very fine point and very sharp point on it . Works great for rotating . Lift one side and re-position or flip . Search pig tail flipper .

I use my pig tail all the time: flipping meat on the grill, re positioning meat in the smoker, pulling smoker grates out to do something, transferring meat to a plate or foil pan. Not sure what I would do without it; probably have burned knuckles like the op.

Reactions: chopsaw
They also make left handed pig tails for those who cant use both hands lol,works great but on fall apart tender items tongs or gloves wont cause a mess

FYI, I ended up picking up this set from amazon, I played with the smaller one a bit doing some ham steak on the griddle for breakfast and definitely like it.

I also picked this up for moving coals around, cleaning ash etc.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I probably still need to get a good pair of tongs the next time I go to one of the Restaurant Supply places.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky