Sourdough Starter.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have plenty of Sunny's sweet bread starter in the freezer dehydrated but no sour dough starter backed up in a dehydrated form. Any difference in dehydrating? I would not think so but thought I would ask anyways.
Same thing. wish I had his company again, sunny was a good guy, spent few days smoking, eating, drinking with him.

I think I still have his sd starter recipe....somewhere

I have his link someplace also if you need it. I also have some of his starter dehydrated if you need some in case you don't have it anymore. Shipping is just a few bucks to the USA from the last time I checked so just let me know and I will be happy to send a 1\2 cup package to you.
Just remember when they come asking what that white power is tell them the truth LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: DieselTech
If you compare the black sections on the jar , you can see it came up some more from the first picture . Was probably all the way up to the top .

Jim

Discard all but 30g.
Feed 1:2:2
30g the starter you saved
60 flour
60 water.

Save the discard for a backup.
WOWSA! I did this and it at least doubled over night!
Thanks guys for helping out this total noob!

Jim

I had to take pics with wifes iPad.

Starter pellets. I may grind for easier mailing.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

If you get starter from me in a couple weeks it's going to be taking on wild yeasts in your area and will be diff from what I sent you. The starter will change to your area and could take longer to become mature.
Your starter went active in less than a week with Florida sourced flour.
I have enough dried starter now back in MN to get it going. I expect the stall while the native yeasts take over the jar.

I use a 1:1:1 or a 50 gram starter, 50 gram flour and 50 gram water twice a day until it gets hot (active) Then I change to a 1:2:2 and put in the fridge
The hard part is tossing the excess starter in the garbage.

Interesting, I have a sourdough starter that is about 7 or 8 years old now. I keep it in the fridge and feed about once a week or maybe two. If i'm making bread I'll keep it at room temp and feed it daily for a couple of days leading up to the bread. My feeling ratio is 1:1:2

I see no right or wrong way to feed the starter. Lots of videos on the subject.
I have been using 50 grams of starter, 50 grams of flour & 50 grams of water for my sour dough starter.
For my sweet bread starter the ratio is to take back one cup of starter each time. 1 1\2 cups of flour, 1\2 cup of sugar mix together. Dump the starter on top of the flour and sugar and take one cup of warm water no hotter then 110 degrees. Mix this all together and done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky