Brined Injected SmoFried Turkey for T-Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
For Thanksgiving this year I'm brining a turkey for almost 48 hours, injecting it, smoking it, then deep-frying it.

Here it is in the brine.
IMG_20181120_192817.jpg

Got up this morning and injected with a simple injection from the store.
IMG_20181122_072025.jpg

I didn't want too many flavors going with the brine and the injection and then an upscale rub, so I just rubbed it down with a with a simple SPOG.
IMG_20181122_072258.jpg

I've used that exact injection on chicken , but left it over night , before cooking . Comes out so moist .
Enjoy .

I'm paying attention to this one. Be sure to post pics when it's done. I never thought about smoking, and then deep frying. Sounds awesome.

I have a theory that the frying will take away some of the smoke flavor, so I'm trying to get a deep smoke flavor before I drop it in the bath.

I started smoking it at about 7:30a this morning and coldsmoked it for 2 hours. Since it was 30° outside I didn't worry too much about the danger zone. Even still, I put my probes in to monitor. I knew my AMZNPTS generates some heat, and sure 'nuff it got my smoker up to 63° and the turkey hit 40° by 9:30a. So 2 hours of cold smoke and now I got the smoker set at 220°.

My plan is to get the IT to no more than 145° and then finish it in the fry bath. We plan to eat around 1, but I have no idea how long it will take in a 325°-350° fry bath to get to 165° at the breast.

IMG_20181122_083017.jpg
(I've got my pal standing guard)

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Don't get me lyin' to you on etymology. It's just what my dad used to say when he finished a job and was pleased with the results.
Pay Dirt!
Miners term for rock with enough of the desired ore to be profitable/worth mining.
Miners term for finding a ore/mineral vein of significant value.

Eureka!
Greek word used to celebrate the discovery of a invention or discovery.
Translation; "I've found it!"

Looks good. I tried a 24 cold smoked turkey then fried it. It lost all of the smoke flavor. Gotta try it again.

Y'all, I really thought the turkey was dryer than my normal smoked turkeys, but then I thought I was just being overly-critical because it was T-Day and we had guests over.

Then I cut into my bonus smoked breasts tonight and one of the guests walked by and snagged a piece. Next thing I know, everyone was bustin' out leftover sides and asking me to leave the smoked turkey out instead of vacuum-packing it.

Turns out, EVERYBODY thought my SmoFried turkey was dry, but my smoked turkey was the most moist turkey breast they'd ever eaten and they were blown away by the smoked flavor.

I never thought a SmoFried turkey would turn out dryer than a smoked turkey. But after their reaction, I don't think I'll ever SmoFry another turkey as long as I live.

20181122 (13).jpg 20181122 (12).jpg

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky