Breakfast Sausage Recipes...Can you share your fave recipe so i can do a taste-off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
uncle eddie uncle eddie looks like I was too late, but I copy pasted my recipe and writeup here from another forum for you. I did a bunch of research and test batches too, might be useful for you. I look forward to hearing your results!

Reactions: uncle eddie
Sage is a hard spice to control in a recipe when it comes to breakfast sausasge. It can change coarseness from brand to brand or even to a different lot with the same brand. Some powdered sage are more denser than others and can take away the flavor profiles from the other ingredients.

Watching :emoji_eyes:

Reactions: Fueling Around
zwiller zwiller Sam, you beat me to it. The difference in flavors between black, white, and green peppercorns is amazing. My daughter despises straight black pepper, but loves a mix of black, white, green, and red (often not a true peppercorn). Unless the recipe specifies white pepper, I often use a medley over straight cracked black pepper (CBP)

Good point boykjo boykjo
Actually all spices are tough to dial in for a fixed number.

I love a mix of thyme and rosemary

Reactions: zwiller
My daughter despises straight black pepper, but loves a mix of black, white, green, and red
I bought my Son a gift pack from the Spice house for Christmas one year . It had a " Black and red spice " . A mix of black peppercorns and red peppers . Surprising how good it is .

Made all 5 this morning. I will summarize the taste off this afternoon. All were very good and are worth making ... but I do think the top-secret recipe versions were pretty spot on for Jimmy Dean - even better then my old tried and true version of Jimmy Dean Hot.

Sage is a hard spice to control in a recipe when it comes to breakfast sausasge. It can change coarseness from brand to brand or even to a different lot with the same brand. Some powdered sage are more denser than others and can take away the flavor profiles from the other ingredients.

Watching :emoji_eyes:
That's why sausage ingredients should always be weighed, never measured by volume. You can be 50 to 100% off if using volume... weight is always exact.
Plus, it gives you a 2nd use for your reloading scale! ;)

weighing would be the best way but sage can be more pungent with certain brands. Freshness can also be a factor. A while back I bought some rubbed sage in bulk to save a few dollars and it was weak in flavor. I quit using it and I'll probably never use it again.... Stick with a quality brand like mckormicks and make sure its fresh.

Here are the best 2 recipe's of the 5 we sampled. Judges were my wife and me. The goal was to get close to Jimmy Dean Hot and Jimmy Dean Regular. Both recipes are excellent but we had to pick a winner.
  • First place was close to Jimmy Dean Hot but could use a little more heat to get it just right.​
  • Second place was close to Jimmy Dean Regular but maybe was just a little on the spicy side as compared to store-bought.​
All spices are in tspn's as I was making 5 one pound batches and my gram scale was too coarse (to the nearest gram) and not to the fraction of the gram.
very
first
close
Ingredient
place
2nd
Pork​
1​
1​
lbs​
Salt​
1​
1​
tspn​
Parsley​
--​
0.5​
tspn​
Cayenne​
0.5​
0.5​
tspn​
Rubbed Sage​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Black Pepper​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Thyme​
--​
0.25​
tspn​
Red Pepper Flakes​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Ground Coriander​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Accent​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​

I was betting a recipe with the black pepper was going to win. I've tested hundreds of recipes with black and white pepper and the black always seems to be better........
You can even add a small amount of citric acid and give it a little tang
Thanks for sharing

Joe

Here’s a few I did last year that I really enjoyed.

Fresh sausage
"Country style" Fine grind 7lb
Salt 17g/kg
Black pepper 1g/kg
White Pepper 1.5g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Sage 2g/kg
Cayene 1g/kg
Sugar 3g/kg
Thyme 1g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Stuffed into 22/24mm sheep casing

Fresh sausage
"Mild" Fine grind 7lb
Salt 16g/kg
White Pepper 1.5 g/kg
Sugar 2g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Nutmeg .5g/kg
Coriander .5g/kg
Onion powder 3g/kg
Celery powder (which didn't have so i used celery seed) .5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg

Fresh sausage
"Jimmy dean" Fine grind 10lb
Salt 15g/kg
MSG 2.5g/kg
Coriander 1g/kg
Black Pepper 1g/kg
Parsley 1g/kg
Thyme 1g/kg
Red Pepper Flakes 1g/kg
Sage .5g/kg
Binder (NFDM) 10g/kg
Water 100g/kg

I was betting a recipe with the black pepper was going to win. I've tested hundreds of recipes with black and white pepper and the black always seems to be better........
You can even add a small amount of citric acid and give it a little tang
Thanks for sharing

Joe
For BF sausage I think you might need both. They play well together. You can use more WP than BP and get more "pepper" flavor and not get the heat you would get from all BP. I have used lemon juice for acidity in a pinch and also note JD calls for vinegar which would also work well. Sure you need the spice profile but think the msg and acid is a big part of making it like the real thing/storebought.

Len Poli as has a JD clone if you google for it.

You can be 50 to 100% off if using volume... weight is always exact.
Plus, it gives you a 2nd use for your reloading scale! ;)
Yep, I use my reloading scale for weighing spices and cure and have a higher capacity Taylor digital kitchen scale for weighing meat.

6 parts salt (6 oz)
2 parts black pepper coarse ground (2 oz)
1 part rubbed or ground sage (1 oz)
red pepper to taste - I go light for the wife and kids and kinda medium for me, so very little in the batch (not in my seasoning mix) and I add a little to mine as I patty it up.

each lb of meat gets 1/2 oz seasoning mix

I like mine simple. Like Pop's advised, I just make a baggie of the seasoning mix and at grind time I just measure out the 1/2 oz per lb.

I gave up on making breakfast sausage at one time because I never found a mixture I liked. Once I went to the basics - leaving out all the rosemary and thyme etc... that most folks really like in theirs, and went to just salt, peppers, and upped my sage amounts drastically, - I fell back in love with my own homemade.

I will on rare occasions when I want a change add some dehydrated onion flakes into a lb or a lb and a half and let it sit overnight, especially if I'm going the sausage burger route.

FYI - pork sausage burgers or patty melts on sourdough are the BOMB!

very
first
close
Ingredient
place
2nd

Pork​
1​
1​
lbs​
Salt​
1​
1​
tspn​
Parsley​
--​
0.5​
tspn​
Cayenne​
0.5​
0.5​
tspn​
Rubbed Sage​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Black Pepper​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Thyme​
--​
0.25​
tspn​
Red Pepper Flakes​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Ground Coriander​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Accent​
0.25​
0.25​
tspn​
Making 10 pounds of the 1st place winner this weekend.
Cubed Boston Butt is thawing in the fridge.

Noticed the "winning" breakfast sausage recipe tasted good out of the skillet but lost some flavor when eaten later on. Did some additional tweaking and came up with this final-final recipe. Bumped up the sage and coriander a smidge to give the sausage flavor more staying power :emoji_astonished:

Here is the revised recipe for 1 and 2 pound batches

Jimmy Dean - Knock Off - Breakfast Sausage
Pork1lbs2
Salt1tspn2
Cayenne Pepper0.5tspn1
Rubbed Sage0.375tspn0.75
Coarse Ground Black Pepper0.25tspn0.5
Red Pepper Flakes0.25tspn0.5
coriander0.375tspn0.75
Sugar0.25tspn0.5
Accent0.25tspn0.5

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky