Breakfast Sausage Recipes...Can you share your fave recipe so i can do a taste-off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can even add a small amount of citric acid and give it a little tang

Joe
boykjo boykjo I've been tweaking a southern breakfast sausage mix for a while and this comment caught my attention as I see most of the commercial stuff lists vinegar in the ingredients. I have never tried adding vinegar, water, or any other liquid. I do have citric acid on hand and would assume it would have a similar effect as vinegar on the taste of the sausage. How much would you consider a "small amount"? 1 or 2g per kg?

I forgot about this thread.
I made another batch of JD clone sausage a couple weeks ago after we got back to MN.
My red pepper flake in MN are a lot hotter than bottle I bought in FL. Luckily the wife loves the heat.

My steps for making sausages:

Materials used

500 grams of pork

Salt 8g

Sugar 15g

Ginger powder 0.2g

10 grams of rice wine

Potato starch 25g

Red koji powder 0.5g

Cold water 25g

10 grams of lard

1-2 casings

Wash the casing thoroughly and soak for at least half an hour. Keep it in reserve.

Pig elbow meat, with a fat to lean ratio of approximately 1:4. Wash the pork, dry it, and chop it into minced meat.

Add seasoning in batches, vigorously grasp, and knead evenly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Enema tool, put all the washed sheep intestines onto the mouth of the manual tool, apply some oil in advance to make it easier to apply, and slowly twist and push forward to fill the intestines.

Tie knots before and after, and tie them in sections with cotton ropes or corn husks in the middle.

After production, air dry for 4-5 hours, or overnight. The temperature should not be too high or too damp, and the temperature should not exceed 20 degrees. Otherwise it will break down.

The surface has dried, and the sausages are added to the pot by boiling water to 80 ° C. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer on low heat for 20-40 minutes until the sausages are all floating. Take out and cut the thread, let it cool, and you can fry it or put it in a bag for freezing. Take it as you like. Take out the preheating in advance.

Reactions: crazymoon
I like pops recipe but I halve the salt as I found it way to salty.

Modified Pop's Mix
4oz Salt Kosher
2oz Black pepper medium grind
1oz ground sage (freshly opened)
Added to taste by eye (never measured):
Dried Thyme "hand ground using thumb" (tablespoon maybe)
Ground Nutmeg (teaspoon maybe)
Red Pepper flake "hand ground with the thyme" (1.5 teaspoon maybe)

1/2 oz per pound

I am hoping/planning to make 5 different breakfast sausages (pork only) this weekend for a taste-off. I currently have 2 recipes and I am hoping to get 3 more...if you are willing to share. The two recipes I have include:
  • my best approximation of Jimmy Dean Hot (which is pretty good) and
  • I just bought one off of TopSecretRecipe.com that claims to be Jimmy Dean Hot (79 cents for a recipe). It did have 14, 5 star reviews...but I am still a bit skeptical.
FWIW - I have tried TSM's breakfast sausage seasonings mix and it was weak on flavor at their recommended dosages. So I did 125% of recommended to get a good flavor profile...which made the sausage a bit too salty.

The goal is to get something close to Jimmy Dean Hot.
Secondary goals are to get close to Jimmy Dean Regular or Sage.

If you want to keep your recipe secret, just message me the recipe (if you are willing), and I will make sure it goes no further.

Thanks

uncle eddie
I've used this recipe for years, it never fails.

Reactions: mds51
I am hoping/planning to make 5 different breakfast sausages (pork only) this weekend for a taste-off. I currently have 2 recipes and I am hoping to get 3 more...if you are willing to share. The two recipes I have include:
  • my best approximation of Jimmy Dean Hot (which is pretty good) and
  • I just bought one off of TopSecretRecipe.com that claims to be Jimmy Dean Hot (79 cents for a recipe). It did have 14, 5 star reviews...but I am still a bit skeptical.
FWIW - I have tried TSM's breakfast sausage seasonings mix and it was weak on flavor at their recommended dosages. So I did 125% of recommended to get a good flavor profile...which made the sausage a bit too salty.

The goal is to get something close to Jimmy Dean Hot.
Secondary goals are to get close to Jimmy Dean Regular or Sage.

If you want to keep your recipe secret, just message me the recipe (if you are willing), and I will make sure it goes no further.

Thanks

uncle eddie
My personal favorite is called Sullys breakfast sausage on our website. Adding some cheese to it is also fantastic!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky