Cajun Breakfast Sausage; Family Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I'm feeling generous. This recipe has been in the family for as long as I can remember. Of course, the original recipe was not in grams, I converted it from TBSPS. I can remember helping my grandfather make this when I was 5 years old. He let me turn the grinder crank...

Cajun Breakfast Sausage:

25# pork 70/30 ground through 3/16" plate
126g Salt
30g coarse ground Cracked Black Pepper
5.6g Red Pepper Flakes
4g ground Cayenne pepper
30g MSG
6g granulated garlic powder
6g granulated onion powder
12g Sage (rubbed or ground)
1 1/4~1 1/2 cups Steen's Cane Syrup

This is a basic backwoods cajun recipe. Nothing fancy. But it makes one damn fine breakfast patty. We make a lot of 50/50 Venison/Pork sausage with this recipe. We made a pile of it during our most recent processing day. This sausage has been made at my grandfathers deer hunting camp since about 1943.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, it sounds pretty dang good. How much of the mix do you use per pound?

This is the syrup...
iu

Made in Abbeville, Louisiana...

Thanks, I was guessing it was for a 20-25 pound batch by the salt amount but wanted to make sure.

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks for sharing, this recipe has my stomach growling! I need to stop coming on here so early in the morning.

Thanks for sharing your family recipe... I DO LIKE how you cut the salt to ~1% then added the MSG.... That's a very good method for reducing your sodium intake and still maintaining a good flavor....
I'm gonna try your recipe.... Iffin I can remember to try it... CRS sucks...

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks for sharing your family recipe... I DO LIKE how you cut the salt to ~1% then added the MSG.... That's a very good method for reducing your sodium intake and still maintaining a good flavor....
I'm gonna try your recipe.... Iffin I can remember to try it... CRS sucks...
Yes, MSG is 60% as salty as table salt. So 30g MSG is equivalent to 18g table salt. The sodium ends up around 1.3% for this recipe.
The original recipe had 2.2% salt, which is too high for my tastes.

Sounds great and thank you. Got everything on hand but the Cane Syrup. The grocers in my area dont even know what it is...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky