Bread Bow Knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Was looking around Etsy for a new project , and saw a " Fiddle bow bread knife " Interesting idea . Never saw one before . Pretty basic on the shape , but no reference to size . Be good way to use up some scrap , just have to figure the size and try to find some blades .
Very next morning I get on the forum and BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker has posted one that his wife got for him . Perfect . Rick supplied me with some numbers . I made the comment I'll have to see if I can find the blades . Short time later he also sends me a link to blades with covers . " Click " 5 blades on the way .
So into the shop and glued up some scrape . Layout the shape , get it roughed out . Next day I get it to finish size and sanded . So I'm thinking now all I need are the blades .
Coming up the basement steps , Ding Dong . That's the blades . Back downstairs to finish up .
Here's what I ended up with .
Some PA. Maple glued up from the scrap box
20210428_112202.jpg
Roughed out , and pretty close to finished size .
20210428_114150.jpg 20210428_125202.jpg
Blades . Insanely sharp . Like a serrated razor blade .
20210428_153119.jpg
I was hoping the blades fit . I got lucky .
20210428_154250.jpg 20210428_154335.jpg
Haven't had a chance to try it yet , but I bet it works great on crusty bread .
Just funny how this fell together . Went from talking about it to finished in a day and a half .
BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker so thanks for the help with the numbers and providing a link for the blades .
Pairs up nice with the boards .
20210428_155611.jpg 20210428_155627.jpg
Thanks for looking .

That's fantastic !!! Great work on getting them completed so fast too!

I'd definitely be interested in the "details " as well.. my hands always need something to do !

Reactions: chopsaw
That's fantastic !!! Great work on getting them completed so fast too!
Thanks Charlie . I have the shop set up pretty good . Makes fast work of stuff that way .
I always make a poster board template when I get things like this where I want it . I can get you the link Rick sent me and some numbers .

Reactions: kilo charlie
Looks pretty cool! Now you need to hurry up and figure out what your next new project will be! You are being way too efficient and should start pacing yourself... gonna make the rest of us look bad! :emoji_blush:

Nice job!
Ryan

Heck yeah! Selling them in combination with a cutting board is a good idea too.. Recently a pal made a bread box for his wife and this would go great with that as well!

It's nice to have a clean and ready to go shop.

I just added some drawers to my work table.

1619704128558.png

Looks pretty cool! Now you need to hurry up and figure out what your next new project will be!
Thanks . I have a cutting board cut to size and planed down I need to finish . I have a couple more blanks glued up for these knives . Also have another side board in the works for kitchen storage .
Thanks for the comments

Came out pretty good for a proto-type . Thanks again for the info .
Yeah , I could come down for snow bird season and sell them to people from Missouri . Lol .
HA
Yeah and i see alot of MO plates here.

Wow! My wife got a bread knife like that from her mom probably thirty years ago. That blade was so insanely sharp that it scared me for her to use it. I've always wanted to get another one to replace the first one. I think it grew legs. Really, really glad to see one again and to know the blades are still available.
Great craftsmanship chopsaw. Be careful, you could get busier than you want. :emoji_grinning:

Looks great, so how tall is a loaf of bread? Looks great for short bread but a full size loaf may have to get squashed some maybe?

Looks great, so how tall is a loaf of bread? Looks great for short bread but a full size loaf may have to get squashed some maybe?
Take another look Mike. The frame lays sideways and the blade is perpendicular. The frame only limits the thickness of the slice. Works very well.

Reactions: jim1251 and chopsaw
Beautiful craftsmanship. Love the simple blade replacement.
Thank you sir . The ones I looked at just had screws holding the blade on . I had the trim rings on there because all I had was bugle head screws .
Very nice craftsmanship.
Thanks for the comment .
Great craftsmanship chopsaw. Be careful, you could get busier than you want.
Appreciate that . Thanks .
That blade was so insanely sharp
Yup . That's an understatement . Scary .
That looks sweet!
Thank you Norm .

Beautiful Job, Rich!!
So that's how you slice bread without smashing it???
Pretty Board Too!!
Thanks John . I'll be using it tonight . Should work good .
Thanks Mike . The slice goes thru the " bow " part , or turn up and down to rip bagels or rolls .
Very nice Chop!
Thank you bud .
Amazing work of art!
Thanks for the comments . Just put the finish on a second one .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky