Bratwurst Fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sauced

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
New Jersey - Exit 9
Has anyone filled a fatty with bratwurst before? If so, what else did you add. I am thinking of adding Muenster cheese and pan fried pirogies.

Thanks

Haven't tried brats yet.. The closest thing I have tried is a chili cheese dog fattie.. Your idea sounds like it would be awesome!!

Last edited:
Can't say I have, but it does sound good. Maybe some sauerkraut and/or peppers and onions.

Chris

I do them with hot dogs, bacon, jalapenos, & Swiss cheese.
I don't see why a brat wouldn't be about the same as a hot dog.
I also split the hot dog down the middle twice so you have 4 lengthwise pieces.
It spreads out & rolls up easier.
Al

Thanks Al....great idea about splitting them. No sauerkraut as there are some that don’t like it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I'd make sure the brats are good quality, not those pre cooked grease rolls you can buy.

Also I feel I should pull the trigger and do this too, what with being from Wisconsin and all!

I have bratwurst that came from Germany. Plan on slicing them length wise and pan fry. Cook pierogies and pan fry as well. Mustard on the side.

This fattie did not go over as well as I thought it would. Maybe some sauerkraut added to the filling would have helped, but there were several guests who don't like it. Back to the drawing board on this one.
Also made a fattie with a smoked macaroni and cheese filling....they devoured it!!

This fattie did not go over as well as I thought it would. Maybe some sauerkraut added to the filling would have helped, but there were several guests who don't like it. Back to the drawing board on this one.
Also made a fattie with a smoked macaroni and cheese filling....they devoured it!!
Curious what went wrong? Filling to mushy or? I'm about to do one tommorrow..or saturday.

Don't think there was enough bratwurst in middle. The pierogies pretty much flattened out, hard to tell what they were. Again, no mustard or sauerkraut in middle which I think would have really helped. Tasted like it was missing something. Had several guests that don't like mustard and sauerkraut.

Don't think there was enough bratwurst in middle. The pierogies pretty much flattened out, hard to tell what they were. Again, no mustard or sauerkraut in middle which I think would have really helped. Tasted like it was missing something. Had several guests that don't like mustard and sauerkraut.
Hrm. Well, it's all an experiment !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky