Boneless Butt When is it done???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I'm going to smoke my 1st Boneless Butt. Have a question, how will I know when the Butt ready to be pulled.

I've smoked Butts before but always with the bone in, so I just had to wait till the bone came out easily.

Was thinking 205-210 it should be ready to be pulled?

Also what rub from these 3 would be good for the butt,Simply Marvelous, Cherry-Spicy Apple or Sweet Seduction.

Also doing 1 rack of Baby Backs and 1 rack of Spares.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
One thing i learned about butts is the rub isn't overly important because you won't taste that much of it after the pull.  I just use what i put on ribs but a simple SPOG would be good too.   A good finishing sauce will accentuate the flavor the most. 

Oh i do like rubbing down with a good olive oil before the rub.

Last edited:
Hi All Just rubbed my 3.5 lb Butt with Simply Marvelous, Cherry rub, wrapped in plastic and back into the fridge until tomorrow morning.

Then I will hit it with some Montreal Seasonings/salt an pepper.

I also have a rack of Spares and Baby Backs. I'm going to rub with one SM Spicy Apple, the other Cherry.

Thanks Dan

I don't know your rub, but I always do a light coating of light brown sugar just before it hits the smoker. Yes it turns liquid all over and is messy, but when heated it caramelizes and forms a hard candy like shell that holds moisture in the meat and as a lightly sweet taste. Most rubs are either salt and/or sugar based.

Hi All The results are in. The winner is the Cherry and Sweet Seduction rub.
Spicy Apple was a little too spicy for my wife, anyway to tame it down some?
The Butt at 205* came out nice n juicy and tasted great.
Thanks DanB

St Louis on the bottom rubbed with Spicy Apple..Baby backs top rubbed with Cherry & Sweet Seduction.

Done

Butt done

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky