Boneless Butt tied up......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Foamheart inspired me to bone this butt and tie it up with his pork chop thread....    It made perfect sense......   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/253274/brined-frenched-rubbed-smoked-glazed-cheap-pork-roast

So I boned it.... Trussed it....   Injected it with Stock at 5%... 1% salt, 0.5% sugar and 0.5% Ames Phos to hold in the moisture.....   We've been eating ham so no cure #1 was used... 

Meat was at 31 deg. F, in the center, after boning and trussing...  Sooooo it took awhile to cook....  12 hours to get to 203 deg. F...   4 hours in the foil, on the rack, to let the juices redistribute and the meat to finish tenderizing... 

Decided no spices so we could taste the pig...   This roast is awesome...  tender..... moist....  this is, BY FAR, the best butt I have smoked...   look at the juices.....    I'm convinced, Ames Phos does what the package says it does...   Keeps stuff moist...

I split it into 3rds and vac packed 2 of them....  the last one is for a couple dinners...  

.. ..

Thanks for looking.....      Dave

Dave, the pork roast looks awesome!   I bet it tastes even better.    I have tried going to the Amesphos website several times over the past year to order some Amesphos and it always says it's backordered but will be available soon.     I wonder if the Fab-P product would work like Amesphos?

Looks very juicy. I have thought about Amesphos but have not seen much on it's effectiveness. Time for a second look...JJ

Dave, the pork roast looks awesome!   I bet it tastes even better.    I have tried going to the Amesphos website several times over the past year to order some Amesphos and it always says it's backordered but will be available soon.     I wonder if the Fab-P product would work like Amesphos?
I've not noticed Fab-P before...  I'm not excited about the cooking method recommended or the ingredients...  The ingredients appear to be a normal addition that a commercial sausage business would add...

IMPORTANT: marinate at least 4 hrs, turning occasionally.
  • Cook at 250°F until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
  • Cool to 140°F.
  • Serve.
  • Make more.
TIPS: FAB flavors may be mixed for your own special blend.  The suggested 2:1 ratio of water to FAB is a starting point. Try FAB up to 8:1 for your personal preference.  Inject slowly, with an injector that has holes facing outward, not just at the tip. Excess FAB can be frozen if it has not come into contact with raw meat.

For barbecue tips, download our FAB cookbook (pdf)

CONTAINS: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed oil, sodium phosphates, monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.

Looks very juicy. I have thought about Amesphos but have not seen much on it's effectiveness. Time for a second look...JJ
JJ, morning...  I'm impressed with my results... Chicken, Ham, Sausage and Butts have all been extremely moist and flavorful when I use a stock for the liquid..  That butt had been in the freezer for  2 years..  no burn etc..  I have a NO defrost chest freezer..  Butts sit on the bottom of it..  I've cooked a few butts and this one has the most juices in it...   I was surprised as I cooked it at MAX... 275...     Usually I cook at 210....  anything higher and they came out fairly dry...   I've cooked chicken hind quarters that I could have used a bib to keep my shirt clean...  Anywho, if you can get it, give it a go...   A house full of chef's revue would be very good...

Dave

I definitely have some things to consider for my next butt. Great thread, Dave.

Point.

Disco

I definitely have some things to consider for my next butt. Great thread, Dave.

Point.

Disco
I'll be lookin' for your recipe and thread...   
canada.gif

Looking good Dave - That really does look juicy. Points 
icon14.gif

Was there any other noticeable difference with the Ames Phos? Colour, taste etc?

Wade 

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this, but damn Dave, that looks great!

I could use a BIG slice right now!  Only 0900, but I've been in since 0400, darn near noon for me!

Not sure how I missed this, but damn Dave, that looks great!

I could use a BIG slice right now!  Only 0900, but I've been in since 0400, darn near noon for me!
CB, morning....  It's never too early for good butt...... 
icon_mrgreen.gif
Looks beautiful Dave!
Thank you Jay !!!!....

Last edited:

That looks incredible Dave!  Great smoke!

Mike
Looks nice and juicy Dave, thanks for the post and great info. Amazing!
Mike and John....  Good morning...   Thanks much...  It came out pretty tasty and moist...    And looks good in a picture too !!!   HAHAHAHAHAHA.......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky