Boneless Berkshire Fresh Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tony Cachere's roasted garlic injection is here - interesting ingredients: water, sugar, vinegar, salt, garlic and Worcestershire sauce!!! I've been using an unsalted beef broth / Worcestershire sauce injection on the roast beefs I have been open-fire spit-roasting in other threads - with a little added garlic and salt!!!

Fresh ham should be here tomorrow but the weather isn't looking great so maybe cut in half, freeze half, and roast half in convection oven with brown sugar coating and cloves stuck in it like Grandma used to cook.

We'll see.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Tony Cachere's roasted garlic injection is here - interesting ingredients: water, sugar, vinegar, salt, garlic and Worcestershire sauce!!! I've been using an unsalted beef broth / Worcestershire sauce injection on the roast beefs I have been open-fire spit-roasting in other threads - with a little added garlic and salt!!!

Fresh ham should be here tomorrow but the weather isn't looking great so maybe cut in half, freeze half, and roast half in convection oven with brown sugar coating and cloves stuck in it like Grandma used to cook.

We'll see.
Man, I was all in and down with it! Then you said cloves. Some love them, not me. RAY

Its here! Its big - in the 17-pound neighborhood! Its in the fridge defrosting until I can cut it in half! I'm hungry!!!

Its here! Its big - in the 17-pound neighborhood! Its in the fridge defrosting until I can cut it in half! I'm hungry!!!
You have my undivided attention. Just my opinion, but I like your original idea of doing it on the rotisserie better than the convection oven....but I don't have a grandmother who I'm trying to replicate for this one :emoji_wink: Very much looking forward to the thread n this one.

Robvert

You have my undivided attention. Just my opinion, but I like your original idea of doing it on the rotisserie better than the convection oven....but I don't have a grandmother who I'm trying to replicate for this one :emoji_wink: Very much looking forward to the thread n this one.

Robvert
Its the weather, sir. Plus I am sure that if you tasted Grandma's fresh ham, you would tell me to cook it her way! Nevertheless, it is quite large and I am actually contemplating cutting in into thirds a bit later today - so sooner or later a portion will be on the spit.

Well I took the battle sword to it. Put the left portion back in the freezer and the right portion back in the fridge to continue thawing - cut it at absolutely the best possible time with respect to thaw - still very icy but thawed just enough I could cut it. I did not weigh the left portion before I burried it in the freezer but the right portion weighs 6-lb 6-oz - my kitchen scale only goes up to 12-lbs so it was returning an error for the whole thing. I'll weigh the left portion when I am ready to dig it out.

The left portion will go on the spit and the right portion is getting Grandma's brown sugar and clove treatment and roasted in the convection oven.

I'm hungry!

It's a nice looking piece of ham and I bet that if cured and smoked it would be spectacular without that big bone running down the center.

IMG_1552.JPG

Its the weather, sir
Oh, believe me, I know. Been pretty nasty.
Plus I am sure that if you tasted Grandma's fresh ham, you would tell me to cook it her way!
I don't doubt that but you have earned my bias (and a LOT of respect) with all of the amazing rotisserie cooks you've done recently. All of them have been breathtaking and that's the sole rationale behind my comments. I believe you could cook a pair of flip flops on the rotisserie and they would come out fantastic :emoji_laughing: Gotta say though, that is one gorgeous chunk of meat. Truthfully, I don't think you could go wrong whichever way you decide to cook it / them.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Retired Spook
Oh, believe me, I know. Been pretty nasty.

I don't doubt that but you have earned my bias (and a LOT of respect) with all of the amazing rotisserie cooks you've done recently. All of them have been breathtaking and that's the sole rationale behind my comments. I believe you could cook a pair of flip flops on the rotisserie and they would come out fantastic :emoji_laughing: Gotta say though, that is one gorgeous chunk of meat. Truthfully, I don't think you could go wrong whichever way you decide to cook it / them.

Robert
Thank you, sir! :emoji_thumbsup:

That rotisserie just works wonders.

Would be hard for me to not cure a chunk of that and make some pulled ham
I have 2/3's of it left in the freezer to play with - I would love to smoke it but I just don't have the patience for the long cooks, getting quality wood without paying for someone's mortgage just aint makin it anymore, and that spit roaster just works so good... Besides, there's no real hickory anywhere near here and if I bought the kiln dried stuff in HEB or Home Depot I'd have to spend $120 on wood to smoke it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have 2/3's of it left in the freezer to play with - I would love to smoke it but I just don't have the patience for the long cooks, getting quality wood without paying for someone's mortgage just aint makin it anymore, and that spit roaster just works so good... Besides, there's no real hickory anywhere near here and if I bought the kiln dried stuff in HEB or Home Depot I'd have to spend $120 on wood to smoke it.
Gotcha. Could start it on the roto to get some smoke and color on it then finish in the oven to pulling temps. Pulled ham is so delicious

Gotcha. Could start it on the roto to get some smoke and color on it then finish in the oven to pulling temps. Pulled ham is so delicious
I've never tried it. Got any pictures?

I love hickory smoked ham though - the real stuff made by someone that knows what they are doing, not the factory stuff. If I had a stack of good hickory I might try smoking it but the long cook would kick my **** and I would need some good cold clear weather to do it right.

Reactions: TNJAKE

That's a beautiful ham you've got there RS. I envy you.

I haven't cooked a fresh ham in a long time, but when I've done so, I've cooked them to 155F. At that point, I wrap them in a double layer of HD foil followed by a heavy towel then into a warm cooler for a couple hours. Remove, slice and serve. Always came out perfect.

Looking forward to how yours comes out.

That's a beautiful ham you've got there RS. I envy you.

I haven't cooked a fresh ham in a long time, but when I've done so, I've cooked them to 155F. At that point, I wrap them in a double layer of HD foil followed by a heavy towel then into a warm cooler for a couple hours. Remove, slice and serve. Always came out perfect.

Looking forward to how yours comes out.
Precisely the temperature I have been contemplating - with a good rest under foil! :emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky