Boneless Berkshire Fresh Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It sure does look good!
That’s th first and only time I’ve done it but man it was awesome! So handy to have in the frig too. I did a few hams and then vacuum packed 1 and 2 lbs packs. It was a go to for sandwiches, wraps, a few chowders and casseroles. It’s on my growing list for restocking.

Reactions: Retired Spook
You are really overthinking this... just cook it like a pork butt.
Also, where do you get off thinking it would cost $120 in wood to cook this? A bag or 2 of the Western hickory chunks from walmart for $7/ea will do it

Also, where do you get off thinking it would cost $120 in wood to cook this? A bag or 2 of the Western hickory chunks from walmart for $7/ea will do it
He's capable of making a ham lol. You can't run an offset off hickory chunks. And normally you wouldn't cook it like a butt unless you wanted to pull it.......but welcome to the forum?

I'm with RAY on cloves. Pick most of them out of my pickling spices.

To run an offset cheaper, run it with charcoal and use fist sized pieces of wood every half hour or so - in case ya wanted to pull a hunk of it. You could smoke it about 4 hours and oven finish on a splits worth of wood. T'would be delicious for sure.

Condolences to the desert dwellers who pay out the wazoo for wood. That's rough.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I would never step foot in a Walmart and I would never ruin a $150 Berkshire fresh ham by cooking it like a Walmart pork butt.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dls1 and TNJAKE
If I was going to smoke a cured ham it would be with air-dried aged hickory splits at very low temperature on a cold day - but that's just me...

Condolences to the desert dwellers who pay out the wazoo for wood. That's rough.
I got rid of my SQ-36 offset last year. Hardwood trees don't grow in the desert and cactus just plain won't work. I used to order bags of hickory from Cabelas, cost an easy $40-$50 in wood to smoke $10 porkbutt. Then there was tending the fire, nothing like throwing on another split or two when it's 113º in the shade. Setup the snake method on the Weber, costs maybe five bucks to smoke a butt, great flavor. RAY
DSCN2076.JPG

DSCN1753.JPG

Mixed up a Kosher salt and dark brown sugar brine to inject and let it rest overnight in the fridge. I'm pretty sure that Grandma did not inject / brine her fresh hams but I like what injecting a brine has done for the beefs I roasted - however I want to stick as close to my recollection of Grandma's fresh ham as I can so simple Kosher salt and dark brown sugar should do the trick. Tomorrow is roasting day.

I will take the netting off and re-tie with butcher twine before coating with brown sugar and sticking those wonderful cloves in it - easier to remove the butcher twine to slice without destroying the crust!

I am saving the Tony Cashere's injection for possible use on the portion I intend to spit-roast.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Netting removed and tied with butcher's twine. Now sitting on counter to come to room temperature - about 2-hours.

Then a little Kosher salt, granulated garlic, organic brown sugar and those wonderful cloves and into the convection oven!

IMG_1558.JPG

Lost track of this thread . I like the cook in the oven . I saw you mentioned 155 . Waiting to see the results of that .

Lost track of this thread . I like the cook in the oven . I saw you mentioned 155 . Waiting to see the results of that .
I read another recipe that specified 140-degrees, so I am a little perplexed. I do not enjoy over-cooked meat, at all.

Just read pork.org recommends 145 minimum so that is what I am going with. Gotta be juicy or I will toss it in the garbage.

Reactions: dls1 and TNJAKE
I do not enjoy over-cooked meat, at all.
Me either . 140 would be for a lean cut like pork loin , or an already cooked and smoked ham .
Stay with your plan , I'm not saying it's wrong . You'll have a better idea of what it takes after this one .

Reactions: TNJAKE
I'll probably wait till 145 because it is going to rest covered in foil for an hour.

I detest dry, overcooked meat. My Grandmother was an amazing cook, from back in the olden days, but others in my family would just plop whatever they were cooking in the oven and set the timer based on the weight, and there were Thanksgiving turkeys, or roasted chickens that I could not eat.

I am reminded of the detestable rotisserie chickens that HEB sells with their dried out breast meat - gut retching. No idea how they actually sell any.

Depending on your cooking temp, don't forget about the carryover. I'm in for the ride

Chris

Depending on your cooking temp, don't forget about the carryover. I'm in for the ride

Chris
Probably going to roast at 300-325 because of the brown sugar rub that will be on it - do not want to burn the sugar. Convection is usually good for a virtual added 25-degrees so worst that can happen is it takes a bit longer to reach temperature.

I detest dry, overcooked meat. My Grandmother was an amazing cook, from back in the olden days, but others in my family would just plop whatever they were cooking in the oven and set the timer based on the weight, and there were Thanksgiving turkeys, or roasted chickens that I could not eat.
When I was growing up pork had to be over-cooked because of the slop they fed pigs. That's all changed now.

Chris

Follow your plan , I'll be watching for the results . Not pushing this on you , just something to think about if you don't like it at 145 .
1676123053800.jpeg
1676123089895.jpeg

Reactions: gmc2003
140 is rare... 155/160 is well done ... I shoot for 145 ... The injection will keep it juicy no matter the IT (within reason)... Carry on ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky