• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bone In Standing Rib Roast, aka Prime Rib QVIEW

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Prime Rib was on sale today and since I have been wanting to smoke one lately but havent pulled the trigger, I thought this would be a good time.  I have never made one of these but feel that I can competently prepare one thanks to all of yall here on smf.  It also happens to be for a celebratory dinner, and rather than take the girlfriend out for an expensive dinner, I figured I would spend half as much for a prime rib that I'll be eating all weekend and hopefully will beat the restaurant meal anyways.  Some preliminary pictures:

The butcher was a sf giants fan, and brought up the series as he saw my rangers hat, but the meat looked so good that I forgave him for the error of his ways...

the bones were attached but there was a cut between the bone and the meat, I'm not sure why they do it but here is what i mean:

Thanks to Bearcarver for dry rub recipe and worcestershire tip.  Made one modification, and used Lawry's instead of kosher salt.

All rubbed and ready...back into the fridge for a couple hours since I am doing this today, plan to start the smoke very soon.  Will continue with more qview, any tips from you veterans of the smoke are more than welcome.  I am planning on having a drip pan underneath to make the au jus, and will probably pour in a cup of red wine or so as a starter.  For wood I will use some cherry and a bit of hickory.  Thanks for reading!  And thanks for sharing all your experiences - that's what allows someone like me who has never smoked prime rib to confidently undertake the challenge.  Stay tuned!

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 24, 2007
Looks great so far. What internal temp are you taking it to?

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Rib is smoking away.  Here's a shot right as it went into the TEX:

Hoping that my red wine based au jus turns out to be yummy.  I am thinking that as soon as it hits 120 I will pull it, I like beef rare and i think 120 will be a nice middle ground for my girlfriend who prefers medium rare.  Any thoughts on the temp?

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
The roast you bought would be referred to in my area as "cut and tied".  The only reason I can think of for doing this is that the average consumer may be unable to properly carve the roast?  I prefer mine not be cut and tied, as I would rather treat the meat as I see fit.

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Venture, you're right - the rib was tied up with string to hold the rib bones up.  Hopefully it won't hinder the smoke.  I was back and forth on leaving the bones on or removing them and thought I'd just leave them, since everyone seems to agree that bone-in gives you better flavor.

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
update:  pulled from the smoker at about 123.  Got distracted and temp was rising fast, but it looks great and feels like its ready to pop with all the juices holed up inside.  I double wrapped in foil and am going to hold it in the cooled down smoker at 120 degrees until dinnertime, when I will post some more qview. for now, here are pictures of it right out of the smoker at about 123 degrees:

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looking real good Kevink !!!

I'm with RB--can't wait for the sliced Qview--MMMMMmmmmm..........

Bear

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
wow looks great so far, I was hoping to see the sliced pic too

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Dinnertime!!  Came out a beautiful rare just edging towards medium rare.  Delicious - i didnt use a knife, i just sliced me a big piece and pulled the big fat globs right off...was buttery tender.  Probably the best thing i have ever cooked, and my girlfriend even liked it!  (Can you tell which plate was which? hahahahaha)

Thanks to all you fine folks who have posted your prime rib experiences, they really helped me get a great result on this one.

without further ado:

ready for slicing

First Cut - Separated ribs

Sliced prime rib

Samantha's dinner plate - she didnt finish!

Kevin's dinner plate....admittedly he did not finish either!!

But the rib and the inch thick piece of prime rib made me wish i could have eaten more.

My sadness was short lived, though, because I remembered I'll just be eating prime rib for several days

Another plate view:

Well That's All!!! Thanks for reading!  Keep documenting your Q's so I can do things like this!

Kevin

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Wow Kevin that rib turned out amazing. I need to go clean up my keyboard from all the drool

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 16, 2010
Great looking prime rib. I'm primed and ready for Christmas dinner. Thanks for sharing

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
ok now that does look good well done

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2009
Wish I could have that for a Thursday night dinner. That sho do look tasty FO SHO!!!!!! The only thing I'd change is asparagus for the green beans. (And I love green beans!)

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
oh Man! you nailed it!! what beautiful color and done PERFECTLY!!  How long did it end up resting in the cooler?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
That looks Perfect Kevink !  

You sir are a very fast learner, and a man who knows what good is !!!!!

Thanks for the great Qview,

Bear

smokermark

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 15, 2010
Excellent that's about as good as it gets! Looks really juicy and tender I'm sitting here eating cheese with crackers thinking I'd much rather be having a slice of THAT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.