BONE FROM PORK BUTT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oceantoad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 26, 2022
I hit a nice sale on bone in pork butt at the beginning of the month. I have at last 9 bones in the freezer now just taking up space. Anyone on here save their bones for stock? And if so, what process are you using to make it. Just curious. Thanks in Advance.

Reactions: JLeonard
I just simmer them in a stockpot, then put some stock with each bone and vac seal… then freeze! You can also freeze some liquid stock in some ice cube trays!

BTW, I believe it was a member here that turned me to the ice cube tray method… works great!

Last edited:
Just one idiots opinion. Throw some celery and carrots, maybe half an onion in with the bones and boil for an hour or so.

Strain out bones and vegies and you are good to go. 9 bones? hope you have a big stock pot.

Reactions: bbqjefff
Are these bones that have been cut out of the butts before cooking with some meat/trim attached??.. Or bones pulled from already cooked butts??

Cut before, I am just grinding the meat for sausage. No smoker yet.

Cut before, I am just grinding the meat for sausage. No smoker yet.
Okay yeah I definitely do like the other said. Throw in some veggies in a stock pot and simmer for several hours. Makes a great stock for beans or many other things!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky