• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjpiv33

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
Charlotte
I'm not really sure where this thread belongs, so if i need to move it please tell me.

I've making a lot of sausage this summer, Venison, pork, beef and chicken. Everything from British bangers, to kielbasa, to Texas beef sausage. I am definitely getting better with my technique, but i would like to make some homemade bologna. I want to make a chub, not in loaf. What are some of your fav tried and true recipes and techniques. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I respect the input of the forum, and while i have researched (prob way to much) i would like to gather some feedback and start making some bologna.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: JLeonard
May i suggest to google the Len Poli site. He has posted recipes of all kinds of user friendly sausage recipes that are user tried and great.

Jealous as I've not had much time to run much but if into mixes Owens Red Barn is quite popular. I have it but have not run in yet. IMO "bologna" is a very broad style and there is a wide range of things that fall into that term. IE- I've seen a few bologna threads and the final product looks a lot like summer sausage.

Bologna is all about rounding up the flavors you like, then playing with the recipe. It's weird, but many bologna recipes have a lot of ingredients.... and it makes a difference when you adjust the amounts. For example, here is one of my posts where I took my Frankfurter recipe and made bologna. After some taste testing, I needed to make changes for the next batch.

I have made the Disco Trail Bologna and it's very tasty.

Reactions: tallbm
182EBD1D-9224-497C-9209-505856A77761.jpeg

You guys are going to force me to make some bologna!!
I have a buddy who always talks about the German Bologna he used to get at a little local shop in my home town.
I noticed that Owen's has a German Bologna seasoning and today is the last day of a $1.99/lb sale on 73/27 ground beef.
I figure I could get about 6 pounds and give it a shot and see how it comes out :)

Plan would be to smoke for about an hour then SV to 153F IT
Anyone ever use the Owen's German Bologna Seasoning?

Anyone ever use the Owen's German Bologna Seasoning?
Yes . It's my favorite .

Reactions: tallbm
Yes . It's my favorite .

Oooh my buddy is going to like the sound of that :D

Reactions: chopsaw
my buddy is going to like the sound of that
I can't remember if I added the bacon because the pork cushion was on the lean side or if I did it to make up some weight .

Just for the sake of saying it , I only added cure 1 for the weight of the pork cushion , NOT for the bacon .

I can't remember if I added the bacon because the pork cushion was on the lean side or if I did it to make up some weight .

Just for the sake of saying it , I only added cure 1 for the weight of the pork cushion , NOT for the bacon .
I just ordered German Bologna Seasoning and 4-7/8 x 20" bologna casings from Owens. Looks like German Bologna will be on the menu soon. Doing it the lazy way though, going to get that ground beef for $1.99/lb that's on sale and make 6 pounds of the stuff. I'm pressed for time so this will be a good test THOUGH I prefer all pork bologna over all beef.

Thanks for this post guys. I also have wanted to do some bologna but wasn't sure what to go with. Might have to look up my home state neighbor for some seasoning.

Maybe I'm not seeing this right but..... You had 2# of fresh pork and 1# of bacon (which has been cured).

Did you grind the fresh pork mixing in the amount of cure needed for 2#, then grind the bacon the next day and add it into the mix?

Or did you grind the 2# of fresh pork along with the 1# of bacon, then add the amount of Cure #1 needed for 2# of the fresh pork?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky