• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Blackened Grouper dinner.

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
Went to the fish market today and got beautiful piece of of grouper and decided to blacken it. I used my on special Cajun recipe as well as made a scotch bonnet remoulade sauce. It was so good and yes I live in Florida grouper was fresh.

Attachments

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
I've never had any type of fish "blackened"......But I'd give yours a try. Looks good.
Jim

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
Blackened fish recipe
3 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp thyme

I pulse it in a food processor can use it on chicken everything it’s amazing.

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
This is a little harder

Remoulade sauce recipe

1 Scotch bonnet pepper seeded
1 heavy Tbsp onion I just cut a chunk of of an onion
3 to 4 cups Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1 tsp Pickaprppa sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
Splash red wine vinegar
Some salt and pepper to taste

Put onion and scotch bonnet in food processor pulse add rest of the ingredients and blend till smooth.

Attachments

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
Tried to give you idea of color I cook by taste always hard to convert lol but it’s close just don’t forget hard boil eggs

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
To use the Cajun seasoning put oil on fish can be anything Salmon red fish grouper cat fish ect… dust Cajun seasoning on both side heavy sear in cast iron both sides about 1 min both side finish off in oven for a few min. If you can do it out side I get the pan smoker hot it will stink up the house and I do add a little oil to the pan as well.

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
Also don’t Substitute any other pepper the scotch bonnet may be one of the hottest peppers but it’s also one of the sweetest and when you take the seeds and veins out it’s actually not that hot in a rich fatty mayonnaise.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Nice job on that Grouper binnesman. It looks fantastic

Point for sure
Chris

GonnaSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 19, 2018
The grouper looks great.

A little history on blackening...
The "blackened" craze all started about 1980 with chef Paul Prudhomme, owner of K-Paul`s Louisiana Kitchen in New Orleans. He was the first to blacken redfish and it soon became a hit and his signature dish. Since then, about anything imaginable has been blackened.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Blackened grouper is my all time favorite fish sandwich, but I’m in Florida too, and many restaurants say they are giving you grouper, but it’s really tilapia. We Floridians know when we are getting screwed, but the tourists probably don’t have a clue. I don’t say a thing, I just don’t go back to that restaurant. Now your grouper looks fantastic!
Al

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Very nice! Grouper is an awesome fish-especially on a sandwich!

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
Thanks for all the great comments hope someone gives it a try. At least the Cajun seasoning

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.