Bitter taste on skin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Smoked a 1/2 chicken and a spatchcocked chicken, waited till my smoker got up to temp, white smoke turned to light blue, before adding the meat. Every time I opened the smoker I would spritz it with white grape juice. Fist time I tried this, will the smoke from the smoker stick to the spritz that I sprayed, used the same oak and hickory that I always use. Pulled off the smoker at internal temp of 168 degrees, just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem?

Smoke has a tendency to stick to wet surfaces. So if your spritzing - well your attracting more smoke. Poultry also takes on smoke rather quickly so you may be experiencing an over-smoked chicken. When I smoke poultry I let it sit in the fridge for a while uncovered to form a pellicle. I personally don't use a lot of wood when smoking poultry because I don't like it overly smokey, and I use a higher heat with no spritzing. I still get a good hint of smoke flavor and crispy skin.

Chris

Reactions: zwiller
I don't Spritz anything in my Smoker, but I use a well sealed, well insulated electric smoker, so if I would open the door to Spritz, I'd be letting the Hot & Humid air out, and defeating my purpose. Then I'd have to heat it again, after spritzing & closing the door. That could dry out the meat.

When I grill some things, I'll brush marinates or sauces on them, near the end.
Spritzing would be OK here too.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky