Birria Questacos With Consomé ~ A Special Kind of Street Taco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I chose short ribs for the meat on this batch, but they can be made with about any whole muscle meat. Because of the technique a higher fat meat works much better. And, because they are so filling, two per person is plenty. Or one beef and one cheese one.
uXntMAb.jpg
The sauce (aka Consomé ) is made from scratch using dried chilies and other seasonings and is quite mild. It can be made into a soup, but in this recipe it's used to dip the tortillas, and also the finished taco.
X5oml5e.jpg
G9XFb8T.jpg

The ribs are braised in the sauce and some beef broth until tender, then shredded.
XdObDJx.jpg
The assembly is easy and goes fast. Dip the tortilla and start to fry.... add cheese and meat, then fold over.
0es0tby.jpg
x08XAnJ.jpg
cTOaPsP.jpg
Cheese ones go together the same way
nxiG7M7.jpg
bYCyBlk.jpg
The drill is to dunk the taco as you are eating it.
jOZEOTg.jpg
axIlLU3.jpg

Nice, I was just talking to my crew about making Birria again. You have a more detailed recipe to share?...JJ

did you see the same video online i recently did of the best birria quesatacos in (i believe) LA, too? LOL

Looks really, really good

Woohoo!!! Thanks for the spin on the carousel!!!

Nice, I was just talking to my crew about making Birria again. You have a more detailed recipe to share?...JJ

Chef JJ - This one below was the inspiration and it has plenty of photos. We adjusted some ingredients because of the amount of meat we had. The cloves were omitted. Most recipes call for browning the meat, then moving right to braising, but I wanted the low-n-slo live fire flavor.... so that added a few more hours to the timeline. It's a great starting point.

https://www.acozykitchen.com/birria-tacos

did you see the same video online i recently did of the best birria quesatacos in (i believe) LA, too? LOL
Looks really, really good

I'm not sure, but this video is pretty good, and if you skip to the 7 minute mark you can see the complete cooking process. Watch this guys facial expression when he bites into one.... clap2.gif

They look tasty and legit. Love scratch made sauces from dried chili’s. Congrats on the ride.

Thanks. These Birria Tacos are Messy work but are tasty. If Im feeling lazy, I'll just make a Torta, pressed sandwich, and dip that in the consommé...JJ

Those Birria tacos look absolutely amazing! Bet they tasted pretty good too!

Congrats on the ride!

Thats an awesoe video! Those Birria Tacos have become popular around here. I will be doing this soon. Thanks Wayne.

Last edited:
Woohoo!!! Thanks for the spin on the carousel!!!

Chef JJ - This one below was the inspiration and it has plenty of photos. We adjusted some ingredients because of the amount of meat we had. The cloves were omitted. Most recipes call for browning the meat, then moving right to braising, but I wanted the low-n-slo live fire flavor.... so that added a few more hours to the timeline. It's a great starting point.

https://www.acozykitchen.com/birria-tacos

I'm not sure, but this video is pretty good, and if you skip to the 7 minute mark you can see the complete cooking process. Watch this guys facial expression when he bites into one.... View attachment 496127

Thank you for sharing this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky