• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Biltong' Its Just Not Jerky

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
My last batch is gone already.

Gotta move some things around in the closet and get ready for some more BT.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
What cut is that.    I gotta try this soon.

Damn you.   LOL

tomcat43

Joined Nov 29, 2016
Just finishing up a batch today.

Used a top round Hunka hunka meat (thick top round steak?) from Costco.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Your last batch looked really good!

Can't wait to see this one!

Al

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Thanks

Going to slice later today for the new batch.

snowbeast

Joined Dec 1, 2016
I love biltong!
How do you dry yours? In a biltong box? In winter we are able to hang in our garages, but summer is too hot.

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Sprinkle the baking soda on the strips. Lightly

Marinade ready.

Yes the baking soda will react with the vinegar,  Dunk all sides of the meat into the marinade. Let it do its things then cover and fridge.

whistech

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 21, 2009
Nepas, what does the baking soda do for the biltong?

petewoody

Smoke Blower
Joined Sep 10, 2009
Apparently soaking meat in a solution of baking soda and water raises the pH on the meat's surface making it more difficult for the proteins to bond excessively which keeps the meat tender and moist when it is cooked. It is used by Chinese restaurants to tenderize beef. From this, I assume it used in making biltong to tenderize the meat. I have only notice it popping up in biltong recipes in recent years. All of my old biltong recipes simply use malt vinegar, salt and coriander

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Apparently soaking meat in a solution of baking soda and water raises the pH on the meat's surface making it more difficult for the proteins to bond excessively which keeps the meat tender and moist when it is cooked. It is used by Chinese restaurants to tenderize beef. From this, I assume it used in making biltong to tenderize the meat. I have only notice it popping up in biltong recipes in recent years. All of my old biltong recipes simply use malt vinegar, salt and coriander
Did you mean baking soda and vinegar?

All the recipes I see mention the baking soda and vinegar but not water.

A by product of mixing baking powder and vinegar is water.

petewoody

Smoke Blower
Joined Sep 10, 2009
No, i referenced cooked meats. I have only been able to find references to baking soda and water in cooking. In the case of biltong, I have no idea what combining baking soda and vinegar is expected to achieve.

In all the old Biltong recipes, vinegar is used to sterilize the meat's surface, salt to remove moisture and coriander for flavor.  I can only assume people believe that baking soda will tenderize the meat. If so, it would be a good idea to mix it with the salt, apply the mix to the meat and, after a few hours, rinse it off with vinegar (mixed with water) and flavor with coriander before hanging to dry.

I have never used baking soda although lately I have used cure #1 which is frowned on by the purists.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010

No, i referenced cooked meats. I have only been able to find references to baking soda and water in cooking. In the case of biltong, I have no idea what combining baking soda and vinegar is expected to achieve.

In all the old Biltong recipes, vinegar is used to sterilize the meat's surface, salt to remove moisture and coriander for flavor.  I can only assume people believe that baking soda will tenderize the meat. If so, it would be a good idea to mix it with the salt, apply the mix to the meat and, after a few hours, rinse it off with vinegar (mixed with water) and flavor with coriander before hanging to dry.

I have never used baking soda although lately I have used cure #1 which is frowned on by the purists.
Cure #1 is not necessary if the meat is air dried and no smoke applied, UNLESS you want a different flavor profile like... pastrami, ham etc...  It does provide some pathogen protection..  if smoked, it will provide protection from botulism...  There is nothing purist about added protection from food borne pathogens.. 

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.